Quad SID board almost ready

Davo

I've almost completed design on a quad SID board.  This incorporates four core and SID modules onto one single-sided  board along with a simple four-channel mixer (to give a mono output composed of all the SIDs).  Yes, there are jumpers.  Would anyone here be interested in trying out the foil pattern?

Another question, for you, TK.  What license do the Midibox schematics fall under?  So far, it seems to be BSD-ish with GPL for MIOS and its applications.  What license would be appropriate for this board I'm making.  FWIW, I have absolutely no plans whatsoever to make and sell these boards, though SmashTV is free do so as far as I'm concerned.

Hi Davo,

Very interesting!!! I was thinking of doing such a thing myself but I can't find any time for doing so. I can't find time either to put my mono-SID in a box (http://www.midibox.org/forum/index.php?topic=2736.msg17936#msg17936)

I could be interested into trying this out.

What kind of size is the board? I'm limited to 300x200 mm but I guess it should be smaller anyway.

Is it possible to take a look at the layout of the PCB via some image/pdf/whatever?

Best regards,

Lall

The board is about 240mm by 185mm.  Solder-side traces are green.  Jumpers wires are red.  Silkscreening is white.

The SID1 group has all the headers that a regular core board has.  The slave groups are cut down to just what's required to be a slave group.  I initially wanted to include DIN and DOUT circuitry, but decided that building them on the same perfboard that I mount the front panel stuff would be cleaner and save space.  Each SID group is capable of using either a +9V or +12V SID.  This is selected with a jumper just north of the SID.  In practice, it would be safer to solder a wire jumper into place rather than risk having a shorting block fall off and possibly get put back wrong.  The mixer unit requires +12V and -12V and provides a mono output.  As the board is now, all these voltages must be supplied externally.  I'm tinkering with making it accept +12V and regulate it down to +9V and +5, and somehow get it inverted for -12V.  Perhaps that might introduce noise.  A seperate regulator board between a +12V power supply may be a cleaner approach.  Advice?  Opinions?

quad.png

very nice! i'd love to have one of these. and if i get it right - you don't have to send your sids' output through that 4chan mixer and in that case you don't need that -12/+12V right?

You don't lose anything by having the mixer, but if you don't want it, simply omit all parts related to it (numbered 5xx).  You'll still need +12V if you want to use 6581 SIDs.  I've found that Jameco #230535CJ is ideal for a racked midibox synth.  It provides +5V for general purpose use and bipolar 12V for running my mini-mixer circuit and the FM module.  +12V can be easily regulated down to +9V for running a 8580 SID. 

Tried it with Opera, Firefox and IE but still your image link seems to be broken. I even cannot download it directely from this link: http://www.cs.csubak.edu/~dgriffi/pics/misc/quad.png

Try this in GIF: http://www.cs.csubak.edu/~dgriffi/pics/misc/quad.gif

Is anyone else having trouble with that PNG image?

Waouw that rocks!

I'd really like to build such a board. That's exactly what I was aiming for  :)

Just one minor question, is that possible to run the mixer with +/- 9V instead of 12? I'm asking because I only have 8580 and that would make the power supply easier if I would just have +5, +9 and -9V.

Best regards,

Lall

Well, I botched this design by forgetting to include headers to connect the DIN and DOUT modules.  :P  While going back to put it right, I wondered if  things like the application header for the master core are really necessary.  Can I get some suggestions on what other headers I should leave out of the master core section?