Midi time out with no midi

lukas412

Hello everyone,

Well I got my midibox64e up and running and it was working great. I did a reconfiguration of the hardware controls and plugged it in last night, and attempted to upload the midio128 program to test out all the controllers. The core crashed about half way through and gave me the "Midi time out, whassup" error, so I tried to reinstall the program, and no luck now right after it displays the firmware, it goes straight to the midi time out error. I unhooked everything from the core, except the lcd and I get the same thing. Sometimes if I power down and then power up quickly, i get an endless stream of very fast moving characters, or just a corrputed looking screen. I dont understand, cause it was working great. I rechecked all the connections and everything looks great. I am going to try and burn a differet pic to see if its just corrupted software. Anyone else seen this before? All help is appriciated! Oh, I made this core from one of smash's kits so Im sure all the parts are correct, and I searched and read all the posts with the error code in them, but none seem to have the same problem as i do.

Thanks,

Luke

For the shutting down and powering back on very fast: That´s pretty normal. The cap stores a little energy over a short time, so if you power back on within a range of let´s say 2-4,5 Volt, everything is messed up (especially the LCD controller) - so no problem about that.

For the Midi problem: Did you use a LTC? You did not use the MAX-IC, right? Looks like your Midi In somehow gets to the Midi Out. For testing out the Core (only) unplug the Optocoupler (small 8-pin IC) and look if it works then (just keep the LCD connected - the LCD has nothing to do with the MIDI stuff).

Greets!

For the shutting down and powering back on very fast: That´s pretty normal. The cap stores a little energy over a short time, so if you power back on within a range of let´s say 2-4,5 Volt, everything is messed up (especially the LCD controller) - so no problem about that.

Ok great, I wont get too concerned about this.

For the Midi problem: Did you use a LTC? You did not use the MAX-IC, right? Looks like your Midi In somehow gets to the Midi Out. For testing out the Core (only) unplug the Optocoupler (small 8-pin IC) and look if it works then (just keep the LCD connected - the LCD has nothing to do with the MIDI stuff).

I did not use the LTC. I will try remvoing the Optocoupler and try that out tonight. The funny thing is that it was working very nicely, and then bam seems to have broke. Thank you very much for the help.

Luke

Perhaps a little burn out of the PIC. To avoid something like that: Before you begin working (or better said touching) on the core or other modules touch a grounded piece (blank metal piece of your heater will do just fine) with the one hand first and then touch the ground of the core (or whatever) with the other hand. That will bring you and your stuff on the same ground level (ground potential) and electrical charges are down to zero.