how to use 1x16 LCD ????

Fx3_hdrive

hi

i have a 1x16 LCD that is connected to my midibox 64E (it isnt finished but...). the lcd displays everything weird, it would display half of the first line and half of the second on the same line, and it says Jnternal  ???

because i dont have any encoders yet i cant operate it propperly, but i created a litle controll panel with first 4 switches, Exec, Right, Left, Snapshot, but only the exec seems to work  ??? (it also sends midi note on and off on severall chanels. the rest of the buttons wont do anything  ??? can that be a short on the board or something?

oh and 1 last thing, because i designed my midibox with 48 encoders and 28 buttons that gives us 124 digital inputs,  :) just the right size  ;), the q is do i have to edit something in the script/code to make them all work? i'm utterly useless at programing  :(

thank you in reserve

EDIT: Msg icon and title

i have looked at the Main.asm code and its really complex for me, i will try to dig into it with help of my brother, he is a programing wiz (only in C++ though  :()

can someone point me to what i should edit to maybe add the second line as a separate page

or should i spend that money and buy a 2x16 with B/L?

is 1x16 so unuseful or can i make it work at least for early tesing period?

i still have to buy 48 encoders and 28 buttons, the cost of that is going to be through the roof !!

thankyou in advance

Yarek T

hi, recently i found this quote on wiki

Most displays, when powered, will display all block characters across the first line until they receive some sort of signal.

this is strange because on my display it shows only half of the screen as blocks, the rest is blank so i suspect a wrongly wired LCD ??

can someone please confirm that when u power up your midibox, the first line is full of blocks?

Yarek T

Hi Yarek,

I've no experiences with 1x16 displays, therefore I don't know, if this is the normal behaviour or not.

But I can confirm, that if the black blocks are displayed only at the left half, that the LCD characters are propably organized like described above (first 8 characters: first line, following 8 characters: second line), and that this is not caused by a connection error.

Without changing the firmware at many places (I cannot tell you exactly, at how many... it's a lot of effort), there is no way to use such a LCD - a 1x16 layout was never taken into account

Best Regards, Thorsten.

thx moebius, i found them addresses usefull

i have done what i wanted, i have created 6 pages for the display menu (instead of 3) it shows each line on every page, quite a tackle.

allthough i didnt edit the display driver because i didnt know how and where... so that left me with crappy unreadible menus, i cant even tell what channel my mb is on  :'(

maybe some of you can help  :)