What do I need for MBSID?

Attila

Hi all!

Probably a dumb question, but here it goes: What (which modules) do I need to build a MBSID w. LCD and control surface? I need one or two SIDs. Which SID (6581/8580) is better for creating a warm, "commodorish" sound? Where can I get those? How much does the whole circuit cost (1 SID module, LCD - I have a 2x16, control surface like Steven's MBSID has)? Thanks in advance for reply!

PS: Sorry for my English, it often gets buggy :)

here is a good tip: read the documentation.. allthough it can be confusing at times.. it something all newbies should do..

you could read the forum.. you could ask google.. you could even read my own topic.. as im building a complete CS sid aswell.

its clear that you didnt do that.. or didnt spend a lot of time doing that..

what modules for a complete sid? http://www.ucapps.de/midibox_sid.html some core and sid modules and 3dinx4 and 2doutx4

what chip? ive read somewhere that the 6581 is a chip for "commodore sound" lovers.. and the 8580 is a chip for serious synth stuff.. im building mine with all 8580..

price? that all depends.. some people pay 4 euros for control buttons.. i payed 35 euros.. sope people pay 100 euros for a frontplate.. others make it themselves.. it up to you how much it'll cost..

im dutch.. so english isnt my first language either.. but it didnt stop me from reading a lot of the website.. i havent read it all yet and ask stupid questions sometimes aswell.. but its a good idea to read a lot and ask questions about what you have read.. so people know you atleast took the

effort of reading the documentation..

good luck with your MBSID.. its a lot of fun to build..

At first, thanks for reply! You were right, I did not read the manual (I hope it's not too late ;)).

The price of the components can be problematic for me, because I'm a 16-year old student. I'll manage to build this, even it will last a year! I've obtained a C64C and a C128D recently, but in both are 8580 chips. So I will keep on seeking for a 6581.

The design is not a problem. I've decided to build this synth into a C16 case (looks like C64, but is black). I can make the faceplate without problems, because we have some hobs/millers (I don't know which is right) and other stuff at the school. BTW I attend the Secondary Electrotechnic School of S. A. Jedlik. Jedlik invented the electric motor, the dynamo-theory and the dynamo too - altough Siemens has patented it.

So... I will keep on working on my MBSID hard as possible (without decreasing my performance in the school), and when I get some results (actually a working MBSID w. control surface), I will upload them.

Greetings from Slovakia (btw, I'm hungarian, but i was born in slovakia and still living here)!

nope, its not too late.. but be sure to read a lot.. all the info is here somewhere..

a good tip is to buy all the components from one supplier.. there are 2 webshops that sell complete packages.. so you dont have to hunt for components yourself.. and they are both pretty cheap.. ive ordered from both the shops and in my opinion the one smashtv has got is better..

http://mbhp.coinoptech.com

you can order a lot for the control surface from him as well..

love to hear from your project as time goes by.

good luck with it..

ps. how can you be hungarian and still be born in slovakia? hungarian parents??

ok, i will start to read the documentation(s)... (i started it already)

after my previos reply, i found that page and started to add the modules i need, and ended up @ 150 dollars... I'm a bit scared... but I'll build this. At first I have to find some work for afternoons, when i'm not @ school. There will be one - my friend's friend needs to solder some components (mainly resistors and IC sockets) to a PCB, so it will be fun :)

[off-topic]

my dad was born in hungary, but my mum in slovakia. there are many hungarians in slovakia. so i speak hungarian (as my primary language), slovak and english. i understand czech, because it's very similar to slovak

[/off-topic]

if you want to have 6581 chips, check out ebay. You can determine which chip is inside of the c64 by looking at the keyboard. if the special characters are print on the key (besides the letters) then you can be sure that a SID 8580 sits in the c64. if they are print on front of the keys, a 6581 chip will be inside the c64.

or check the function-keys. if there is only F1, F3, F5, F7 is print on top of the keys and F2, F4, F6 and F8 is print on front, then you will find a 6581 inside.

if F1-F8 is print on top there will be a 8580 inside.

Hope I could help you out a bit ;)

hey i'm from slovenia and i got like 10 C64s i less than a month. check out the fleamarkets, buy magazines where people sell stuff (i don't what's that called in english - in slovene it's called "mali oglasi"), check out this kind of pages (slovak) - i'm sure there are a few.