Re: Keyboard zones confusion (was: SID as a drum machine?)

Phattline

Oh man, thats it, I had always the problem that i must use one midichanal for kick one for snare one for hihats, and then I had only one SID for Lead or Base,

But!

I was thinking about building a second  full stuffed (4 quad) Midibox Sid and take for each instrument one sidmodule, because some drumsound must have 3 oszillator- because the have more punch like for basedrum, with one oscillator you need a compressor to get punchy basdrums, but maybe we can make a simple compressor with a optocopler (in the web there are enough plans about it)

or "only " a software for the normal Step C Midibox that splits the incoming midinotes in C-1 D-1 A-1 B-1 or whatever and send it to the master for basedrum to the 1st slave for snare for the 2nd slave for Hi Hat for the 3rd slave for the open hihat or toms or blönks or whatever, and for all this some  analog compression, and to get near all time the same loudness, because  to get different sounds you will limit or expand  in a big way the volume- and thats meens this is not good for liveacting......

lg phat

or "only " a software for the normal Step C Midibox that splits the incoming midinotes in C-1 D-1 A-1 B-1 or whatever and send it to the master for basedrum to the 1st slave for snare for the 2nd slave for Hi Hat for the 3rd slave for the open hihat or toms or blönks or whatever

you can already select specific note ranges for each patch (and each oscillator) seperately, either in JSynthLib, or from the CS (CFG menu), therefore an additional software is not required for such things.

Best Regards, Thorsten.

I dont understand this, when I go to configuration menu, i filter the notes - right? yea

Ok then I call the patch, KICK 85`, i filter the notes that only C1 came thru, ? yea

Ok I go to slave1 call the patch, Snare 85`, i filter the notes that only E-1 came thru, ? no this isn´t because only the master is filtering

Is it right that this note filter is not in function with 16F slavecores? so i have to upgrade? so I understand.

Lg phat

oh... oops i just read again your post... that would mean that patches wouldn't include the filter settings (modulations)... that's quite a limitation. i understand it though (only 1 filter for all channels) but maybe something like one filtered voice per SID would be sensible? the patches could all use filter as a modulation target but only 1 could be selected at a time (or all 3 but then un-modulated, like an eq)... so all the patches should sound okay both with filters and without.

how does that sound TK? makes any sense?

hmm now that i think about it again... dinamically changing patches would mean turning filter channels on and off all the time which would probably cause quite alot of clicks and pops...

anyway - any alternative ideas? it'd really be a shame to give up filters.

Kokoon: now I don't know about what you are talking ;-)

If you are refering to the available parameters: check the table again, instead of a single filter value, each voice should provide a global filter control. I think that I will realize this as an cumulative node, which means: each voice can add or subtract something from the global filter values

If only one voice is doing this, there is no change compared to the normal MBSID at all. If multiple voices are controling the filter at the same time, you will notice very strange effects... but who knows, maybe interesting effects?

Filters can also be modulated (see table) --- also all voices at the same time

I'm really not planning to give up filters!

Phattline: you are refering to the keyboard zones. No, they are not supported by the old PIC16F firmware. And your assumptions are also not correct... not the master filters the notes, but the internal MIDI In handler.

I will split this thread so avoid even more confusion ;-)

Best Regards, Thorsten

This was nothing personal! I just thought, that a discussion about a feature, which is implemented in the MIOS based "normal" MBSID, but not in the old PIC16F "normal" MBSID, has nothing to do with the MBSID-D

And the misleading assumption from your side (in short words: patches don't allow filter changes) could only lead to an even more confusing questions from people, who read this thread and could think, that this is a discussion about MBSID-D

Best Regards, Thorsten.