New Issue with the MBSID

dcreatorx

Hi ! I finally uploaded correctly the mios v.1.8 and the MAIN.HEX file of the SID 1.5 firmware folder.

Once this, the SID still not working or dropping that "drop tune". Can somebody tell me what I have to do know ?  I heard something about the interconnection test but  . . I can't find it. Thank you a lot.  :)

V1.5 doesn't work with the current interconnections between CORE and SID.

Can you tell me how to upgrade the core now ?

IS THIS A JOKE?

Please read my last posting again - all the answers to your last questions are explained in the walkthrough, why do you ignore this document?

Karma -1

here's a few things (i'm sure this is all written all over the place but anyway) - if i wrote something wrong, please someone correct me:

a few basics:

* .hex file is the "machine code" that needs to be programmed into the PIC. it's often called "binary" or "compiled" or "assembled", ... it's not readable for humans.

* you get the .hex file after compiling/assembling the .c or .asm files. you generaly don't need to do that because you already get to download the binaries.

* you upload the .hex files into PIC via MIOS studio.

* if you have troubles running mios studio (i have) you can convert the .hex files into sysex files (.syx). sysex is an extension of midi and can thus be uploaded to the PIC with some midi tool, for example MIDI-OX.

MIDIBOX:

* all the code is in the core module's PIC. there are 3 "layers" of code.

- 1. layer is "bootloader" or "bootstrap" and is only used when the machine is starting (and for uploading binaries?). you can upload this only with a PIC burner. usually people order PIC chips from smash or joerg and have them the bootloader already burnt for them.

- 2. layer is MIOS. it's the operating system, like windows. it offers an API (a set of functions) that the APPLICATIONS use. you can upload the MIOS binary (.hex) as described above in the first 4 points. note that you can only upload MIOS in the first 2 seconds (i think it's 2) after the bootloader is ran (that means after you power-on the core). when you upload MIOS all that you had in the PIC (except the bootloader) is lost. more specifically - previous MIOS and the applications are lost. that means that you don't have to "erase" it when let's say you upgrade the MIOS but instead you just upload it. and then the application too.

- 3. layer is APPLICATION. there are various applications for various midiboxes. you'll need the MBSID application. you can upload the application anytime the core is running. the previous applications are lost. so when upgrading you don't need to erase first. the applications are binaries just like the MIOS and you upload them the same way.

the document i learnt all this from is http://ucapps.de/mios_bootstrap.html

don't let the "Device ID" discussions confuse you for now. for start you just get single CORE+SID to work. the display component of the device id is probably okay the way it is by default.

but - is "something" really totally wrong word here? i mean... is there no way you could use that maybe like on the street?

Hey, hey, hey, it was just a joke!!! Just thought it was funny when I came home from the bar last night... ;D

(I'm from Germany and my English isn`t the best. But I think 'something' is correct for what you wnted to say.)