quadroubled encoder resolution

n0ne

Hi guys,

I already asked this in another topic in the MIOS forum, but didn't get an asnwer, so I hope that this is the right place to ask...

in midiox I notice that my non detented encoder (ALPS EC11E1830401) only sends its original 36 pulses, in the mios specification it says something about making the resolution higher with the software. Why isn't this working? am I missing something? Hope someone has an answer since I didn't find it in the forum.

Greets, Jeroen.

Thanks, for the quick reply, I've got this:

MIOS_ENC_PIN_TABLE

;; encoders 1-16

;;        SR  Pin  Mode

ENC_ENTRY  2,  4,  MIOS_ENC_MODE_NON_DETENTED ; V-Pot 1

ENC_ENTRY  2,  6,  MIOS_ENC_MODE_NON_DETENTED ; V-Pot 2

That's correct right?

Jeroen.

Hi,

With the MIDIO128 I get 72 lines in one turn, so that means 36 pulses. (and those are 18 from C and 18 from C#). So I could conclude that my encoders do send 36 pulses, but there's something going wrong at the firmware side. Does anyone know what might be going wrong?

thanks, Jeroen.

Hi,

either you've selected a certain speed mode which slows down the encoder (which application are you using?), or after the changes in mios_tables.inc you forgot to re-build the application?

Do you notice any change with different encoder types?

Btw.: you could use the debug window of MIOS-Studio in order to change the Speed mode on-the-fly (but not the encoder type...) - the appr. function is called http://www.ucapps.de/mios_fun.html#MIOS_ENC_SpeedSet

Best Regards, Thorsten.

either you've selected a certain speed mode which slows down the encoder (which application are you using?),

64e, with 32 pots, 60 buttons and 2 encoders.

or after the changes in mios_tables.inc you forgot to re-build the application?

I'm sure I did not, I've made other changes too. (but also tried it with a clean copy of midibox64e)

Do you notice any change with different encoder types?

If you mean modes, no. And if not, I only have one kind of encoder.

If I change my speed setting via the menu buttons to fast I get an increasement of 3 per pulse, I'll have to check what happends when I set it to slow...

Btw.: you could use the debug window of MIOS-Studio in order to change the Speed mode on-the-fly (but not the encoder type...) - the appr. function is called http://www.ucapps.de/mios_fun.html#MIOS_ENC_SpeedSet

Will try...

just a second... if your encoder really is 18 detents then 4x18 = 72 and that means it's okay it's quadropled.

I got 72 lines with the MIDIIO128, when reading the encoder as buttons, when it's read as an encoder I get 36 lines.

Another thing that has got me confused is when I look at the picture: http://www.ucapps.de/mios/mios_encoder_modes.gif, I see that the NON_DETENTED type uses the on AND off of both pin's, so this is the same as what I see while monitoring the output of MIDIO128. Since I got 72 lines there, and the NON_DETENTED picture as a quadrubled resolution I would think that indeed my encoder has a resolution of 18 instead of 36, TK are you sure that every on/off coulpe is one pulse? I hope it's clear what I mean :s.

Jeroen.

Another thing that has got me confused is when I look at the picture: http://www.ucapps.de/mios/mios_encoder_modes.gif, I see that the NON_DETENTED type uses the on AND off of both pin's, so this is the same as what I see while monitoring the output of MIDIO128. Since I got 72 lines there, and the NON_DETENTED picture as a quadrubled resolution I would think that indeed my encoder has a resolution of 18 instead of 36, TK are you sure that every on/off coulpe is one pulse? I hope it's clear what I mean :s.

I'm very sure that the algorithm I've developed works correctly, but it depends on the hardware (encoder) if it's possible to quadruple the resolution or not.

So, before we continue the discussion, it would be useful to know, if your encoder always sends a single MIDI event on a "tick" (use the MIDIO128 application to determine this), or if it can happen that two MIDI events are sent at the same time. If this is the case, then the quadrature encoded waveforms of your encoder are not like in the mios_encoder_modes.gif, and this means that there is no way for the software to make 4 steps of 1

Best Regards, Thorsten.

Yes, that is what happends! Argh that's a bummer. Would it be possible to double it then? Because these are the same encoders Luis uses on the KDJ and he mailed me that he get's a resolution of 72 with software. Would it be sufficient to change the mode to DETENTED (1)? Or will I have to do some additional programming.

Thanks a lot... it's not a happy answer but at least I know what the problem is. Maybe I'll just get other encoders.

Jeroen.

Could you please ask him, how he did this? (Can he also turn water into wine? ;-)

I've no idea how it is possible to create 4 ticks from 3 (or less) transients

Would it be sufficient to change the mode to DETENTED (1)?

this would just only left out some ticks (see the .gif file)

Or will I have to do some additional programming.

If KDJ tells you how he realized this?

If he has just only used an acceleration detection, then you can do the same by configuring MIOS_ENC_SpeedSet in fast mode

Best Regards, Thorsten.

Everything which is possible concerning encoder sampling is already part of MIOS, I really don't know what else could be optimized...

How does he achieve 72 pulses with this encoder?

What does he understand under doubling? (I want to see the waveforms...)

Best Regards, Thorsten.