newbie wants to build his own midibox sid

domestic

ello there

I am newbie in this stuff and I decided to build my own midibox.... so far I found my old c64, which has 6581R3 chip ( I don't know what means R3 )... now I have few questions:

- which parts I must buy and where to order them ( I want full midi controll with knobs and lcd display )

- how much will cost that approximately

- where to find informations about this parts and their functions

I am not some expert in electronic stuff but I guess I know how to solder as I done it few times years ago... any informations, sugestions are most welcome

tnx and have phun

Hey Domestic, check out http://www.ucapps.de/midibox_sid.html .

It tells you what components you need.

As far as cost goes check out

http://www.avishowtech.com/mbhp/

This is one place you can get the stuff. You can order all the parts separately from other companies, but I think the kits are great.

The cost of just the modules needed for a full MBSID is around $100 if you are in the US.

That doesn't include the price for the buttons, LCD, encoders, LED's and of course the enclosure.

You'll notice that Thorsten organized the project in three steps: A,B,C. I recommend you build your project that way as well. Start with a step A - you just need a core and sid module. Get it working first. That way you don't spend too much and you can learn about the soldering and how the whole project works. Then move on to B and C as you gain experience.

Hope this helps...

Justin

ello there

tnx justin, you helped very much... I collected many informations and now I already ordered core with PIC18F452 (including bootloader) and SID module for 6581 from Mike's Midishop, cause I am from Slovenia (Europe) and he accept money payments... now I have two questions again:

- is possible to build a digital audio output in to midibox sid? I prefer on digital audio outputs since I have audio interface with only digital I/O audio interface (RME HDSP 9652) in my computer

- my sound chip 6581 from c64 has a mark R3 beside and I don't know what it means, is it important?

that's all for now, tnx and have phun

The R3 just means revision 3 - I think that's what one of mine is too - shouldn't matter.

As far as a digitial out - you would need an analog to digital converter, and I don't think too many people would want that since the SID is pretty much a vintage synth. I have no idea how to go about that, but I think it would be too much trouble.

Justin

is possible to build a digital audio output in to midibox sid? I prefer on digital audio outputs since I have audio interface with only digital I/O audio interface (RME HDSP 9652) in my computer

If you search the forum you'll find several discussions about adding digital outputs:

http://www.midibox.org/forum/index.php?topic=652.0

I think noone really has done it so far. I think it would be a better investment for you to buy a comercial A/D converter which you can use on all analog sources. Btw. how do you do microphone recordings without A/D?

tnx for replys

anyway it is not so big problem for me, I have analog/digital inputs and outputs on my roland mc909 groovebox or my dat recorder and I am also planing to buy digidesign 002 rack audio interface, which has analog and digital I/O....

Btw. how do you do microphone recordings without A/D?

I don't use microphones, just electronic instruments and vsts....

have phun