Split midibox

sambo

Hiya, I'm building a midibox controller for my guitar rig.

Problem is i can't find a box big enough for what i want. But this kind of came as a blessing in disguise. I thought i'd make it in two boxes, one with the functions i want all the time and one with the functions i use sometimes (so i don;t have to take as much to gigs :P)

Question is, i want a DIN and DOUT module in the second box. Now can i run the connection to the second box as it were the connection to the board, or will i have to run all the inputs and outputs from these boards to the second box and locate the boards in the primary box (ie can i disconnect a DIN and DOUT whenever i want or will it result in erronious messages)

Sam

Hi Sam,

the serial connections from the DIN/DOUT module to the board should be as short as possible. If the two boxes are very close together (ca. 30 cm maximum), you could build the modules into the second box. Use a shielded cable to protect the signals against influences from other gear! The cable must have 6 wires (Vs/Vd/SI/SO/SC/RC) and the shield to ground

If you decide to build the modules into the first box, the cables to the button/LEDs can be very long (> 1 m or more), and EMC isn't a big issue here

Best Regards, Thorsten.

Cool, so you can have your actuall interface a good distance away from the guts? I thought about building a couple of thin little button arrays I could mount in the empty space of my mixers faceplate, maybe it would be possibe after all.

You could have great fun by placing buttons in unusuall places that triggered things in different rooms. Bound to spin a few people out..;)