AUDIO IN/OUT for sid module

Slorrin

Where the OUT and IN spots are on the board, is there a jack that will mount on the board, or should i run leads to jacks and mount them in a case of some kind..

maybe i just answered my own question..

suppose now i need apower drill,, but still, can you mount jacks on the baords directly?

And one last question.. what does the audio IN do?  Can the sid do something to audio signals?  like do you use it as a filter or something?

Where the OUT and IN spots are on the board, is there a jack that will mount on the board, or should i run leads to jacks and mount them in a case of some kind..

maybe i just answered my own question..

suppose now i need apower drill,, but still, can you mount jacks on the baords directly?

And one last question.. what does the audio IN do?  Can the sid do something to audio signals?  like do you use it as a filter or something?

I could answer this question in 2 seconds, but I'm not going to, since this info is so obviously available.

Click on the uCapps button on the top of your screen. Then navigate to the SID module page. Read about the audio in.

Then, if you want some more, read the info at SmashTV's shop info page for his particular SID board, it will tell you everything about the mounting of jacks.

Good luck.

I could answer this question in 2 seconds, but I'm not going to, since this info is so obviously available.

Click on the uCapps button on the top of your screen. Then navigate to the SID module page. Read about the audio in.

Then, if you want some more, read the info at SmashTV's shop info page for his particular SID board, it will tell you everything about the mounting of jacks.

Good luck.

Ugh, i'm sorry.  I'm nothing but trouble to this forum.  From now on i'm just going to read the forums and never post again :(

Ugh, i'm sorry.  I'm nothing but trouble to this forum.  From now on i'm just going to read the forums and never post again :(

No.  That's not acceptable.  If you have questions ask them.  We get cranky from answering the same questions over and over, and some of us happen to know where the answers are in all this documentation, but that is what this forum is for: To answer questions, even if the answer is "look here in the docs".

He's just trying to spur you into diving into the docs, to better your understanding of the project.  ;D

We all forget how much all of this makes a head spin at first look.  ;)

Best

Smash

No.  That's not acceptable.  If you have questions ask them.  We get cranky from answering the same questions over and over, and some of us happen to know where the answers are in all this documentation, but that is what this forum is for: To answer questions, even if the answer is "look here in the docs".

He's just trying to spur you into diving into the docs, to better your understanding of the project.  ;D

We all forget how much all of this makes a head spin at first look.   ;)

Best

Smash

Exactly. Come on Slorrin, if I can do it, you certainly can too!  ;D

I was in a bit cranky mood indeed, I think I have to apologise for that, but my intention was to get you reading. Not just the forum, uCApps is a far grater source of information than the forums alone. it's all there, some things are harder to find than others, and your answer is certainly not hard to find.

Cheers,  Alex.

I can see both sides of this particular discussion. When I found this place just after christmas, it messed with my head a lot. No offence to the people that do the documentation, but it's not accessible at all when you first read it. Compared to the diy stompbox community, this is like rocket science, or so it appears. I get why TK et al don't want to be holding hands while people build these things. If the documentation was just a big 'do this and this, voila!' people wouldn't learn stuff, and would constantly be bugging the forum for help.

I've spent a total of 29hrs just logged into the forum, that's besides reading all the stuff on ucapps, even stuff not directly applicable. I've also gone over to other SID and commodore sites to learn a little more about the way the chip works. I think this is something you're gonna have to do to make this project successful. Knowledge is everything. Almost all the answers you're looking for really are in the documentation, they're just not easy to find. For example, I want to build a control surface that's less complex than TK's. I'm not gonna get someone holding my hand while I mod the code, it's something I have to learn to do myself. I'm sure there'll be help available, but I gotta do the legwork!

Indeed.  ALl the information is there, but, and this is not an excuse, i have ADHD, and reading through long unorganized paragraphs of information ist he opposite of simple for me.  Most people have no problem reading from top to bottom, but i start skipping around and it takes a lot of effort to just keep reading.  (i got a medal when i finished university! ahaha, because adhd is a recognized disability at my school.. lame eh?) That's my excuse and i'm sticking to it.  I find it easier just to ask a specific question to get a specific answer, rather than wade through a lot of written material which is, for me, inaccessible.

dddepeps

Indeed.  ALl the information is there, but, and this is not an excuse, i have ADHD, and reading through long unorganized paragraphs of information ist he opposite of simple for me.  Most people have no problem reading from top to bottom, but i start skipping around and it takes a lot of effort to just keep reading.  (i got a medal when i finished university! ahaha, because adhd is a recognized disability at my school.. lame eh?) That's my excuse and i'm sticking to it.  I find it easier just to ask a specific question to get a specific answer, rather than wade through a lot of written material which is, for me, inaccessible.

dddepeps

Designing your own stuff could become quite hard like that. I mean, if you would want anything non-standard, you'd have to ask so mony wuestins, it's basically like asking someone elso to do all the designing for you. No that I believe that is your intention, but some people could interpret it that way.

About the IN and OUT jacks: it is impossible to not be able to find that yourself, Smash's site is full of nice pictures, you'll succeed in finding the answer there (and will be much more satisfied finding it yourself, than just getting it read by someone else, believe me!)

About the function of the IN port of the SID: by attaching a jack, you can run any (audio) signal through the 12dB fiter of the SID. You could even cascade one or more SIDs like that, but you lose the individual outs that way.

Hope this helps, cheers,  Alex.

Almost back to the topic....I am not able to find phono/rca jacks to fit this SID rev, so next run will have several different footprints for various rca jacks.

I used the one I -thought- was right from the eagle lib, I should have known better.  :-\

Best

Smash

Almost back to the topic....I am not able to find phono/rca jacks to fit this SID rev, so next run will have several different footprints for various rca jacks.

I used the one I -thought- was right from the eagle lib, I should have known better.   :-\

Best

Smash

Nevermind Smash, almost everyone uses panel mount connectors anyway, or don't they?

Nevermind Smash, almost everyone uses panel mount connectors anyway, or don't they?

I'm pretty sure they do, was just trying to give more choices for a quick build...

The original SIL pinheader pads/holes are there too though, and will be forever. ;)

What I really want is pads for common 1/4" jacks there also, but it just did not fit without massive moves. (takes up half the PCB!)

Regarding the end-to-end documentation... Hopefully my blogs will cover this off. Because I am starting from scratch and I like to document things (otherwise i forget or get confused, and make mistakes) I will be documenting my progress from beginning to end. Once it is up there, if anyone finds a section confusing or interesting or whatever, they can ask me to elaborate. People will still need to read and learn, but they will have a reduced need to jump from one place to another. Obviously, this kind of doco does not come easy, so don't expect it quickly... My own projects will be done based on this doco, so I will be delayed in finishing my synths by writing it out, and when the doco is done and followed and updated as I experience it, I will upload it bit by bit.

Now back to our scheduled programming. SID I/O.