4 SID midibox W/O buttons

Slorrin

I have ordered all the jazz to make a 4xsid midibox (4 sid modules and 4 cores).  I am wondering if controlling this via the computer is pleasant and joyful, or if i should really go all out and get the din and dout stuff for the step c.

Can you control everything from the computer?  Are there come things that only the nice buttons can control? 

Just curious. 

I guess i just want to know if i need to shell out more dough or find my 4xsid box useless..

and can you store patches on your computer, rather than a bankstick?

Can you control everything from the computer?  Are there come things that only the nice buttons can control?

for a single SID: yes

for a four SID solution you need at least CS Step B, the usage without is too difficult (there are some postings about this topic in the forum...)

and can you store patches on your computer, rather than a bankstick?

yes, but it's difficult to handle, since switching between different device IDs isn't so easy with JSynthLib

Best Regards, Thorsten.

what kind of buttons are these that are needed.  It doesn't specify, just says 6 buttons.  Are these STDP push on, push off?  or just momentary?  or..

i'm sure there's a list of specific parts, but damned if i can find it.  The schematic for the 2x40 LCD makes it seem like they are momentary on switches (momentary close).

By the gods i hope this is right, because that's what i'm going to buy.

http://www.ucapps.de/midibox_sid_cs/2x40_enc.pdf

this is the one i was looking at.

is there a special magic trick i'm going to have to learn to use the 2x40?

In the making of a midibox sid, it seemed as though the character in that fabulous online fable was forced to recompile the binary file with some kind of new instructions..

this makes me wish i had never stopped learning programming whn i was younger.. i'd probably understand all of this.