Just a couple of LC questions..

Xenepp

Hey all,

Since Reason 3.0 now supports Mackie Control I've decided it's time to kick the midibox LC project into gear.

I'm going to attempt to recreate the reMIX in hardware to make life a little easier (I hope) but I have a couple of issues already.

Firstly I'm not sure if Reason 3.0 uses the "meter" function of Mackie Control, I will check on this, but I read in another thread that if I have more than 8 meters I can't use pots, buttons or motor faders.. is that right?

Also, can I do without touch sensors or disable them? I've no need for them and don't want it to interfere with the rest of the code.

When it comes to the code I'll probably struggle to get my head round it all but I guess a little trial and error is key here ;)

Any help on this is very much appriciated!

EDIT: After checking out another post, I'm now wondering.. can I have more than 11 LEDs in my meter arrays? I'm looking at about 20  :-\

-Joel

Firstly I'm not sure if Reason 3.0 uses the "meter" function of Mackie Control,

According the the Propellerheads' site the Mackie Control implementation for Reason 3.0 supports Control Universal, Control Universal C4 and Control Universal Extender. All three implementations support LED meters and motorfaders.

-drin

Thanks for that, good news at last :)

Upon further digging I'vbe discovered that I'll need three indepentent cores on three midi in/out ports to have my pots too (needs 102 pots, 15 sliders, 56 buttons and 56 leds not including meters), is that right? Hang on.. just thought, if I'm having 102 pots and 15 sliders.. will I need 4 core modules?? Yikes..

If that's right, I just need to know if I can bump up the number of LEDs on my meters to 20 from 16. If they run on a voltage comparason I guess it is with modification to the code.. wow, I'm starting to look at what I've written and not know what I mean!

Man being a musician in the 21st century is hard work!

Thanks again!

-Joel

And which part of the LC project or Mackie control protocol supports potentiometers?

When it comes to the code I'll probably struggle to get my head round it all but I guess a little trial and error is key here

a little?

Moebius

Was that post intended to confuse me or what?!  :-\

Obviously LC doesn't support pots, therefore I'll need a couple of MB64 cores in there, right?

What was it my Mum used to say.. oh yeah; "If you got nothing good to say, keep your trap shut"  :P

-Joel

I don't know squat about virtual controller things but I have read the answers to what you're after on this board enough times that I remember them by accident.

If you want details then run a search. Otherwise the answers are: There's no point in adding more LEDs to the meters, and yes you're gonna need more cores.

Edit: made things easier to understand by using the right word this time ;)

I read that those meters aren't so accurate anyway, so is there any point in adding resolution to an already inacccurate meter?

I really don't know what I'm talking about ;)

... do they have to be accurate? Since recording with 24bits, your target is to know approximately where you are and that you don't clip.

While mixing with 32bits floating you probably never run out of "headroom" and when it comes to the Mixdown, you'll check your host's master meters so you don't peak the DA converters.

The crap with clipping within the digital domain of your system you only suffer with the poorest DAW system on the market... ProTools  :P - 32bits FIX.

Greets, Roger