mini-sid concept with keytar

Davo

I've been mulling over the idea of an ultra-portable SID.  As most of us already know, a Step A MBSID synth can be made pretty small.  So, the idea is to take one of these, make it battery-powered, and velcro it to some convenient spot on a Roland AX-7 keytar.  So, now you have a convenient single-package you can sling on your back and whip out at your convenience at, say, a club in which a band is playing that lacks a bassist. 8)

Well i'd imagine that since you're gonna have to plug in a lead to amplify it an external powersupply lead wouldn't be too big a deal. However, it could also be possible to use just an XLR lead and run phantom power down that. Most modern desks will easily be able to supply a 1A current @ 48v. Job done.

Problem is power,

About that point, i'm wondering :

how much power do a Sid chip use ?

I know they heat quite much, so it must be significant, but did someone know that value ?

Do the 8580 draw less current ? (i guess they do)

Thanks !

This sounds like a really cool idea.

I have not done any midibox SID stuff (I simply can not bring myself to the point of dissecting my old C64's  :'(  ) .  However,  I would think, building an internal power supply that feeds all of the voltages and correct current to the various modules, then feeding that with a good wall wart plug in supply, would be the easiest way.

good luck and I would like to see your project !!

gb

Some inspiration for you on this concept, except with real bass and lead keys:

http://www.jaysmuseum.com/wascohouse%20clips/hog%201.wmv

Met Jay while in NYC, he's got more talent in his "key" pinky than most pro musicians.... ;D

http://www.jaysmuseum.com scroll sideways to see more of his stuff, if short on time at least hear his version of "I am the Walrus".....Best beatles cover ever.  :)

Best

Smash

Wow, a low cost / all-in-one MIDIbox SID is exactly what I'm working on. One board, 158mm x 70mm, midi in/out/thru, audio in/out, etc. All on one board...

I should be receiving the first prototype boards next week, and (if I have the inclination) they may actually go into production.

-Steve

Ugh.  Jay's page somehow makes my mozilla and firefox crash.   How does he play that guitar?  It looks like he's only touching the neck.

Try IE man... I know people are all like "argh! microsoft!" but let's face it, most websites are built for it...

Meanwhile, I'm with Smash on this one. Talented as F*CK. Get a load of that guy, wow... even on crappy laptop speakers at 1/20th of full volume this guy sounds good.

How does he play that guitar?  It looks like he's only touching the neck.

Yep he's not picking any notes, it's a variant of the hammer-on style, quite effective with a bridge pickup but requires incredible strength to do it on bass.....

In other words don't shake left hands with Jay unless you have good health insurance... ;D

In other words don't shake left hands with Jay unless you have good health insurance... ;D

It'd be worth the pain.

Man I watched that thing like 5 times, then called in my g/f and went "watch this guy" and played it again. Pretty damned impressive. And blessed with a nice sounding voicebox too, which can't be developed through training... he's just born to do that shit.....