Pot connected, but not sending any midi data

dengel

OK, I am testing my AIN module, and as far as I can see I have the parts all hooked up OK:

J6:

core RC > ain A

core SC > ain B

core SI  > ain c

Core J5a > ain J5, via ribbon cable and connectors

AIN

AIN J7  - Power and Ground

J1, pin A1: connected to pot center pin

J1, Pins A2-A7 connected to ground

J2 - J4 All inputs connected to Ground, VD not connected to anything

POT power Pins , connected to Vs and Vd.

When I start the system, I get the single expected Sysex message from the core, and my LCD displays the copyright, followed by:

Line 1 of LCD: [INT] N (8 solid boxes)
Line 2 of LCD: Reverb # 1      64(solid box)

Checking the voltage on the pot between the ain pin and the power pin, It sweeps between 0 and 4.98 Volts, as expected.

If I release the Ground from the inputs, I get the expected flood of messages from the core.

The Problem:

MidiOX sees no Midi signals coming from the pot at all.

I've been testing for the past 4 hours, but haven't found my mistake yet. Any ideas?

No, I haven't. Do I have to customize the app at all just for testing, or is it OK to upload it bone-stock as is?

EDIT: Reloaded App, and I am trying stuff in MIOS studio. Apparently I can Send messages to the LCD, as the "Clear Screen" message does just that, and I can type stuff into the LCD and send it to the display. I'm pretty sure the core is good. I guess I could test a pot directly on the core, couldn't I?

Pot is still nonfunctional, and I have tried 2 different post (a linear slide pot and a linear rotary, both 10K ohm.

One other thing - on line 1, the first black box (after the "N") blinks.

OK, there must be a prob with the ain, 'cause I got things working direct to the core. I used the core Vs J9, and just wired the pot to J5a directly and now I get "chorus" and the numbers do what I expect them too.

Is it possible to put the multiplexer 4051's in backwards? All my soldering is clean as a whistle, with nice clean volcanos everywhere. The thought that I might have installed the plexers the wrong-way-round just occurred to me. The chip text faces the same way as the "4051" on Smash's 3-d renderings, which is the reference I used when I plugged them in.

Smash, is the following on AIN page a slight typo, or did I miss the boat on this entirely?

AINX4 J5:A -> CORE J6:RC

AINX4 J5:B -> CORE J6:SC

AINX4 J5:C -> CORE J6:SI

Are those AIN J5's really supposed to be AIN J6's? Because otherwise, I REALLY don't understand what to wire here....  :-[

PS - anyone thinking of NOT putting an LCD in - put one in anyway! One, it is very cool to see stuff move about as you fiddle with the controls, and two it's an invaluable troubleshooting aid.

Don't worry about the direction of the text, that can vary ... The way the chip alignment is done is by designating Pin 1. This is done either with a 'dot' painted/etched on the top of the chip, or with a notch in the end of the IC.

So...

---- ----

1 -| \/ |-

-| |-

or

---------

1   -| o   |-

-| |-

The sockets usually have the notch in the end too... Hope this helps....

Smash, is the following on AIN page a slight typo, or did I miss the boat on this entirely?

AINX4 J5:A -> CORE J6:RC

AINX4 J5:B -> CORE J6:SC

AINX4 J5:C -> CORE J6:SI

Are those AIN J5's really supposed to be AIN J6's? Because otherwise, I REALLY don't understand what to wire here....  :-[

Yes, that -was- an error (corrected now).....hehe "slight typo", did'nt know there was such a thing.... ;)

Sorry for the basic question here: are you getting good 5v and ground when tested at the 4051 sockets?

Best

Smash

Haven't checked, but probably. I will multimeter that later today and report back.

edit, yes - more or less - 4.97v on all 4. Perhaps my ABC wire is bad...Is the multiplex the default option in the stock mb645 app?

EDIT 2: Well, that was anti-climatic!

Newbie Tip - Don't assume that new wires don't have breaks in them. My "A B C" wires weren't carrying any signal :(

I soldered up some new connectors, and I am now golden, it looks like. Both AINs test fine now.

Also, on the 4051's - if you put them in backwards, the LCD will not light (probably not the best way to check the placement, but there it is!)

Now onto testing the DINs....