POS keyboards (Point of sale or cash register)

Rowan

This isn't really a question, just an Idea.

After going to the local green grocer yesterday and seeing there till/scales, I thought that the keyboards that are used on POS systems would be perfect for large array of buttons on a MB. Most of them have clear plastic caps which can be removed to put labels underneath.

So I set about look on ebay for a secondhand one to experiment with. I chose this one:

e7_1_b.JPG

93_1_b.JPG

From my research it seems that it will connect to a standard AT (5 pin DIN) connector.

By the looks of the keyboard I should easly be able to remove the metal enclosure that houses the Keyboard it self and mount that on a panel with a few screws.

I'm want to use this in a rackmount unit with the trackball I got off ebay......this is all working towards an intergrated MB/PC (I'de love to use a Mac Mini) for Gigging.

Regards

Rowan

After going to the local green grocer yesterday and seeing there till/scales, I thought that the keyboards that are used on POS systems would be perfect for large array of buttons on a MB. Most of them have clear plastic caps which can be removed to put labels underneath.

... make shure to keep the electronics of the POS keyboard! I use it to map different keyboard shortcuts of functions not available by the host's midi-implementation as "one-button"-commands (instead of always pressing: ctr+C, ctrl+V etc.)

Greets, Roger

• 2 months later...

I bought one on ebay just a few days ago as a result of seeing this thread. I think I will keep it to do the keyboard shortcut thing instead of setting it up as an mbox module. I use a PC whn I play live, so I will look into what can be produced. How did you get on with the original mod? Also. forget the grocery stores. Filling station keyboards have leds built into the keys.

Trust Exxon Mobil to have the money!!!

MP