Faceplate Overlays, cheap and fast

dengel

http://www.bwind.com/inst.a.screen.htm

I talked to these guys today, and they have pretty reasonable pricing on thermal-printed overlays for panels, including cutting them with the needed holes.

It's a 10-mil polycarbonate sheet, backprinted and then treated with a 3m adhesive. Up to 5 or 6 colors is no extra charge, and the cutting is included in the price (regardless of the number of holes). Lead time is about 1 week or less, meaning I could have the overlays before next weekend!

I'm going to get one made for my "Enabler" project, which is nearing completion. It is going to cost about $75 bux, and for that I'll probably end up with 2 pieces (9x19")

Familiar with that process and it's not too durable, you will want to cover it with another layer of polycarbonate sheet as it scratches easily.  Seems a bit costly too in relation to mylar/scotchprint as used for coin op arcade game control panel overlays.
The matte finish on these also does not show scratches or wear without real abuse.

Trade show floor graphics are made the same way, Check out link-removed and click on "economy floor decal" for pricing info (and there are better prices out there).  A local sign company might offer the same, if they do "scotchprint" process they can make what you need.
This is the same stuff that audio gear manufacturers use for those panel overlays.

/Edit TK: I removed the link due to a request for the company (10 years after this posting has been created)!

Best

Smash

Trade show floor graphics are made the same way, Check out link-removed and click on "economy floor decal" for pricing info (and there are better prices out there).  A local sign company might offer the same, if they do "scotchprint" process they can make what you need.

Thanks, Smash! I had no idea what it was called or what to search for, so the link I gave was all I could come up with. I thought that it WOULD be like the arcade-type panels. Thanks for putting a name with a process.