What's your favorite kind of MIDI controller?

Davo

Personally, I use and love the Roland PC 200 mk2 and am thinking of getting another one.  I've been thinking of getting a keyboard with lots of knobs, but am uncertain of how good a fit this would make with midibox stuff and rackmount stuff, in particular the Yamaha TX802.

Personally, i'm a KISS (Keep It Simple Stupid!) kind of guy.

I really like the old roland sequencers like the MC-202 and TR-606. I think the sequencer on the 505 is pretty damn good as well, especially with the nice LCD Display. I haven't used a 707 but I imagine that's even better!

My ideal controller would have a 16-step, 8-track (min) drum sequencer and  a 16-step TB/MC style mono bassline sequencer. this would also need to include a few pots/sliders for controlling the mono-synth.

I don't think it even needs LCD's, just an encoder to select the drum tracks (with LED Display) and LEDs for each step/button.

Ermm, getting back on track, I use a yamaha DX27 as my primary controller because it's the cheapest full size MIDI keyboard I could get!! I don't use the onboard sounds much, but they're nice to have. Only thing it misses is velocity sensing, though it responds to velocity over MIDI. I use a bent 505 for programming drums too, again, because it's the cheapest thing in the world!

I think the sequencer on the 505 is pretty damn good as well, especially with the nice LCD Display. I haven't used a 707 but I imagine that's even better!

Nice as the 707 is for sequencing its own drums or triggering analogues with the seperate outs, it's -useless- for MIDI sequencing as it won't send MIDI notes in pattern write mode... no jamming to MIDI :-(  BOO Roland, boo !!  I'm looking for a 505 or a 626 for that reason.

I like your thoughts on an ideal controller :)