PSU design

tatapoum

hi

for the following bits you really need a second opinion, they are guesses basicly; :P

i think you should link secondaries (now you have 6 volts going to a 7812), and only use one bridgerectifier

of this i am more sure;

a regulator causes a voltage drop; so for a 7812 you need 1 or 2 volts more, even the 12v you get when linking secondaries isn't enough

cheers, marcel

No problem with 12V as rectifier output voltage is 1.42 higher as input.

You're right about 6V on 7812. In fact, I have to admit that the actual design is the following. But I'm not sure it's here the best design. Diodes get hot, but output voltage are correct.

psu-actual.png

ludo

Hi,

just to simplify your design a little bit ... (only a suggestion)

netzteil2.jpg

... sorry for the drawing. Not enough time to make it on CAD.

You don't need the second rectifier then. You also can save some caps. The values of the caps are just suggestions.

The only thing is, as mentioned before, if the 12V input AC are enough to drive the 7812.

greets

Doc

Thanks for your suggestion. However with your design, the 7812 is overload. The 4.2V used for the backlight consume 450mA and main 5V for logic and LED has a similar need.

Moreover, I've read somewhere that cascading 78xx may produce a lot of noise. As 7812 provide current for SID module, this not, in my opinion, acceptable.

My major concern is about the rectifiers. Two diodes are parallized and I feel that's not a 'clean' design. But it works even if they come hot.

As I've said in my previous post, 12VAC if perfect to provide 12VDC. The rectifier drops the voltage to 17V (1,42 x 12, rectified current rules) and the voldate drop down of a 7812 rectifier is about 2V.

ludo

The 4.2V used for the backlight consume 450mA and main 5V for logic and LED has a similar need.

Oh, sorry, you're right with this values. I don't know the current until then.

For the diodes: Why don't you choose a "bigger" rectifier or diodes with higher load?

eg. B80C3700 (3.7A) or B80C5000 (5A), or if you prefer diodes: BY251 (3A) or P600A (6A)

How much current delivers your transformer ?

greets

Doc

Moreover, I've read somewhere that cascading 78xx may produce a lot of noise. As 7812 provide current for SID module, this not, in my opinion, acceptable.

ludo

uhm.. so, if we realize an Optimized c64 PSU for SIDs, and we left out the SID rectifier, 7809 of psu and 7812/7809 of sid are cascaded.. uhm..

• 1 month later...

cool, so you've built this design then?

Yep.

how quiet is it?

The voltage oscillated at less than 10 mV. And the sound seems to have not too much buzz.

can it be compared to the c64 psu?

I never have a c64 PSU, so I can't compare.

also, what was the point of having a separate output for the LCD backlight? sorry, i'm new to all this complicated stuff!  :-[

Yes, that's complicated. It's an adjustable regulator LM317 fixed at 4,2V with the pot. It's the best system I found to power up the LCD backlight. It needs 460 mA, that's quite amazing, and a serial resistor of 5 ohms at 3 Watt is not the prefered solution because the pots allow to low the luminosity.

ludo