Please allow me to introduce myself.....

toneburst

I'm a man of wealth and taste....

I'm not really: just heard that Rolling Stones track on the radio the other day and it's stuck in my head now...!

I'm Alex, and I'm a MIDIBox SID newbie (though I've done bits and pieces of soldering etc. in the past). I've just picked up my first C64 on eBay, have my Core and SID kits ordered from SmashTV, and have a nice blue 2x20 LCD on the way too (also courtesy of UK eBay). I'm just debating at the moment whether to go all-out for the whole 4-SID with control-surface extravaganza, or stick to just the one-chip basic model for the moment. One thing I'm a little confused about is the details of how to setup the basic 'Step A' controllers. I'm thinking of getting a DINX4 kit, but am a little unsure exactly how to connect the buttons, encoder and LCD. Could anyone point me in the direction of a simple newbie-friendly walkthrough of this stage of the project?

Also; anyone know of a supplier for nicely-coloured LCDs in, or willing to ship to the UK? I'm looking for a red positive display ideally (ie red characters on a black background). The only supplier I can find for these, that's willing to ship single units is crystalfontz in the US, but the international shipping costs are prohibitive, sadly....

I'm really excited about this project, and encouraged that you seem to have a thriving little community going on here. I think it's going to be fun!

Cheers,

alx

http://www.toneburst.net

In this Forum there is a WalkThrough, besides you have to read all MB Hardware Platform articles, which are necessary for the MB SID (DINX,DOUTX,CORE,SID,BANKSTICK,LCD). Than you are able to understand everything ;) and read first this http://www.ucapps.de/midibox_sid.html

First if you want the control surface of Step A, it's necessary to built up 1 DINX, 1 CORE, connecting 1 LCD (which is describe in LCD Module) and that DINX with that Core. Now you have to know, where you can buy Rotary Encoder and Buttons. Connect them like in pdf describtion http://www.ucapps.de/midibox_sid_csC.html

Installing MIOS Studio and/or MIDI OX for checking your PICs incoming/outgoing MIDI signals, uploading MIOS and SID Application. But you need a Bootloader burnt in PIC, for that.

Also; anyone know of a supplier for nicely-coloured LCDs in, or willing to ship to the UK? I'm looking for a red positive display ideally (ie red characters on a black background). The only supplier I can find for these, that's willing to ship single units is crystalfontz in the US, but the international shipping costs are prohibitive, sadly....

I'm interested in the same kind of LCD and just like you I've only found them at crystalfontz. Maybe if we organize a mini-group buy the shipping cost won't be so crippling.