Midi Scratch

EvilTez

Hello Thorsten,

Thank you for all yur hard work...This is an awsome project :)

I have some ideas for you.

What a turntable midi looper.  When a knob is turned when its looping it affects the paramiter, speed, direction and pitch?  If the looper could have say 4 tracks what about being able to freeze and back spin each of the midi tracks.

Is it possible to write a to text utillty usin MIOS?

Thanks

Evil Tez

Hi Flownezz :)

I mean like when you spin a record on a slip mat on a belt driven drive it spins (effecting the pitch and speed) then goes back to the normal speed.  I was thinking of a midi effect that simulates this.   Final Scratch is simular but its an audio to program interface.  This would just be with midi.

Evil Tez

Guest Flownezz

I mean like when you spin a record on a slip mat on a belt driven drive it spins (effecting the pitch and speed) then goes back to the normal speed.  I was thinking of a midi effect that simulates this.  

I was thinking If you could get a vinyl pressed with a timing code on it you could use a standard turntable... You could use an amp and an op amp to turn the signal into 5v logic then you could just input it into a DIN module.   With some nifty code you could use this to generate smpt code which i'm guessing would allow you to emulate the "spinback" effect, change pitch and more.  Particular attention would need to be paid to the timing code as a program would have to be able to differentiate between clockwise and anticlockwise rotation (ie a short then long sq pulse). Mabey this gives you some ideas?  (I'll draw up the tt to 5v logic circuit if you like...)

Hope this helps...

[edit] A provision for global pitch bend data to be sent could make the effect much more realistic...

Guest Flownezz

EvilTez - Yes, I'll draw up a diagram when i get a min, as for the code - best ask someone a bit more proficient than i  ;)...

Lo- Thanks for the tip Lo, There are a few packages that use this method, but most have a hefty $$ tag attached and do not allow for midi data integration :(.  But with the MBHP it could be realised at a much cheaper price :)... I think the replacement vinyl that they sell on that site could be VERY useful indeed!!!

If the vinyl interface outputs the so called "quadrature code", it wouldn't be a problem for MIOS to handle the apparatus like a rotary encoder. Otherwise a selfwritten decoding routine has to be attached to USER_SR_Service_Finish

Best Regards, Thorsten.

OMG!!! :D  :o :D

The one thing Ive been waiting patiently for years can be done with MIOS!?!  Ive never programmed anything in my life but Im going to learn MIOS.  It seems that if I could get it to talk with Sonar and my DSP Factory I'll have a Mackie HUI on my hands!!!  I have no knowledge of this but Im going to try.

The the thought of linking this up to a loopsequencer and having an interface that can talk over networks Is an awsome prospect but having a feature like this will be awsome!!!

Can you recomend any programing sites to start learning please?

Evil Tez

Oh I will TK...Thank you for the help.  The more I find out about this prodject the more I realise I can have the perfect system with a little effort towards the hard work done here.  Thank you for all the time you put into this.  Ive just thought of a question but Im goig to see if I can find the ansewr myself :)

Evil Tez