Where to order this thing?

Chomsky

The one on the right is a modwheel the one on the left is pitch. They're just unusual knobs mounted vertically on a pot with a limited throw.

If you get a 10k pot with a 90 degree throw, you can use a disc cut from thick plexiglas with a holesaw as the knob, and illuminate it with a LED, looks pretty cool.

Check this out

The one on the right is a modwheel the one on the left is pitch. They're just unusual knobs mounted vertically on a pot with a limited throw.

If you get a 10k pot with a 90 degree throw, you can use a disc cut from thick plexiglas with a holesaw as the knob, and illuminate it with a LED, looks pretty cool.

Check this out

May be this is a considerable solution. But there is one problem with it: after pushing down or pushing up the pitchwheel it should snap back automatically to the middle postiton. So I wonder whether it is possible to constuct it to behave like this?

You could look for an old midi-keyboard and rip off this part...

This is a bad solution. First it is too expensive for this purpose and second I would need two old keyboards, because I need two pitchwheels. Isn't there any source who sells this parts?

after pushing down or pushing up the pitchwheel it should snap back automatically to the middle postiton. So I wonder whether it is possible to constuct it to behave like this?

That is usually done by mounting two springs or elastic bands to the bottom of the wheel, pulling in either direction.

This is a bad solution. First it is too expensive for this purpose and second I would need two old keyboards, because I need two pitchwheels. Isn't there any source who sells this parts?

Two pitchwheels is pretty unusual....What's that about?

That is usually done by mounting two springs or elastic bands to the bottom of the wheel, pulling in either direction.

Uhu! Is there any tutorial in the net how to build this?

Two pitchwheels is pretty unusual....What's that about?

I want to build a Midibox for the Traktor-DJ-Studio. Now you can probably imagine for what I need those pitch-wheels: I want to control the pitch-bend-function of the decks with the pitch-wheels.

I have a pitch-wheel on my keyboard too, an Oxygen 8 from M-Audio..

but, when I do some pitching magic, it sounds awfull. The pitch changes not so smoothly, and when I assign pitch bend to one of the pots it will pitch-bend very well.

Any others having problems with that?

Do you think it's handy to have the pitch wheels snap back to their mid-position? What if u are pitchbending, it sounds kinda cool, and you want to adjust some other params before you go further with the pitch? They will snap back and poof the good sounding music is gone  :-X

It's probably whatever synth you're using. If it is not smooth with the pitch wheel, but is fine with a normal knob, then it may be that the synth is expecting a 7 bit value.

Pitchmod isn't really a synthesis parameter, so much as a realtime modulation source. The synthesis paramaters for pitch should be set at the oscillator tuning. That way, your sound is correct first, and then you can bend the pitch wheel, and it always snaps back to your desired sound when you let go.

I'm using Live 5

When I move the pitchbend, it changes very fast at the first few mm of the wheel, and when I continue it changes slower. But that sounds awfull...

Perhaps you can use 2 joysticks? I've got one from Conrad, and if u release them they snap back to their original point.

If u have an old Playstation 2 controller, they have cool joysticks and they snap back, and above all, the joystick used are from ALPS.

With the x movement you could have another cool param assigned to your mix. (http://www.galeria-kaufhof.de/images/1031/4/9/44292.jpg)

So, 1 playstation controller (2 ALPS joysticks), they snap back, and have additional x movement too so that u can do something with that..

If u have too much spare time, you could even re-use the controller for a cool live-performance, mixing with a playstation controller  :o

CIMG0077.JPG

if you're using LIVE, you first had to assign your MIDI message to something.

I don't know to what function you assigned the pitchBend, but it may be that you send 14-bit pitchwheel but receive (in Live) only 7bit (PitchWheel MSB/LSB)?

Make sure that you send and receive the same message type with corresponding value numbers!

Please see here:

http://www.midibox.org/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=midi_specification

(follow the links, take a look at the charts, esp. Channel Controllers and PitchWheelChange!)

the links from midi.org give a quick and exact overview, the links from borg.com provide some background infos and programming examples...

Michael ;)

At conrad.nl the joysticks I've got were only 1,99 euro... so I think a playstation controller would be more expensive. But, with a playstation controller, you've got the cool rubber-like knobs that feel fantastic, so if you happen to have a controller, take that one :P

I don't know what their resistance is , I don't have a multimeter (yet).

Conrad delivers in every country so you should try it, they are not that expensive  :P