Power Question ? ? ?

analofbrotha

A Question About power supply? if someone could help

I found a 12v dc 500ma power supply would it work for my application?

Which is a basic midibox sid 20 x 2 blacklight,one chip 1 core

Do I need a 15v?could I go higher say 16v or 20v? @ 500ma

I do not have a c64 power supply or alot of money wanna keep unit low cost as possible,so looking at pond shop bins etc

Could someone give a good possible range,

Thanks For Your Help

Hope your all having a GREAT WEEKEND !

You can get some very cheap power supplies quite easily if you know where to look. For example, I don't know where you live but in the UK we have shops called Poundland where everything is £1. You can often find a wallwart type variable powersupply there for..you guessed it! Just a pound!

If you get one of those, set it to 12v and then feed it straight into the optimised power supply.

I honestly don't understand how many people have trouble with the power supplies! It really is the single most simple part of building the MBSID!

If having a genuine C64 look is not on the top of your priority list I honestly don't see the point of reusing the C64 power supply. For my test setup i simply use a 5V/12V dual output switching power supply, directly connected to the 6581 without any other components. I regulate it to 9V with a 78L09 when using a 8580. Maybe it's not as easy to find for everyone, but I have an abundant reserve of power supplies of different kinds and I haven't paid for any of them. I think most people have lots of unused electronic equipment lying around, that's a good place to start looking for suitable supplies. If you're not used to electronics i suggest you find a supply with the correct voltages ready to go. Minimum fuss.

Power supply is not my biggest concern,I have many power supplys just not a 15v 500ma

like I said I have a 12v 500ma (don't want voltage regulator to get hot(want it cool)

Thanks Ya'll for you info & advice

I live in canada And I have been searching pond shops for psu's (no luck on 15v 500ma)Want to find psu while I wait for my kits(box is fabricated)

For my test setup i simply use a 5V/12V dual output switching power supply

? switchn power supply? do you use a regular computer switching power supply?

Why exactly do you want a 15v PSU, when the max you need is 12v? I don't get it?

As long as you're not skimping on current, ther is no reason to feed the regulators more than 12v, especially if you're using an 8580.

I plan to use 6581,I was unsure if the 12v 500ma i have now would be enough to power unit?

so it should? It will fit nice it box..

Thanks

just waiting on parts..

Well i'm not sure on the current draw of the Core, but the SID itself only draws 100-200mA. Most of the current draw will be for the backlight in your LCD, so check that. I'd use a 1A psu wherever possible, as it will run more efficiently if driven under its maximum load. You'll get more heat generated running a 500mA psu at 450mA for example, which is less efficient.

? switchn power supply? do you use a regular computer switching power supply?

No, it's not a computer psu, it's a standalone psu that probably have been used for some form of office or lab equipment. I have no idea where or when I got it, I just found it in my junk box. If you want the details it's a "Mascot Type 6823".

Why exactly do you want a 15v PSU, when the max you need is 12v? I don't get it?

As long as you're not skimping on current, ther is no reason to feed the regulators more than 12v, especially if you're using an 8580.

I've found that 78xx / 79xx regulators like to see at least 1 or 2 volts more than the output voltage.  Sometimes (not always) they do strange things if you only give them precisely the rated output.

However:  you're right.  An 8580 requires a 9V (7809) regulator, so 12 V should be plenty!

Analogbrotha:  where in Canada are you?