Hammond Drawbars- Lots of Them

henrygr

Interesting schem... It's obviously a preset organ, I can see that off the page to the right would have all the multipole preset switches which allow you to switch between the drawbars, and the values in the preset... And those values seem to be a resistance to me - keep in mind all those zig-zag lines are a resistance of some sort...

Looking at the attached pic, here's what little sense I think I can make of it:

C is where the inbuilt preset resistance is switched in

B is where the manual preset resistance is switched in

A Is where the drawbars lead to the oscillators

I reckon if you measure resistance after point A, your drawbars will be working there, so long as none of the presets are switched in...

untitled2_thumb.JPG

untitled2.JPG

• 3 weeks later...

Barry White isn't all that off-topic, for he represents sort of the middle ground between former technology and today's technology.

One day when we were at Lorin Whitney's recording studio he was asked to do a Love Unlimited Orchestra of 101 musicians live at the Hollywood Bowl ... He told me as he growled "I don't HAVE a such an orchestra - it is comprised of a small core of trusted musicians who do lots of overdubbing here at Lorin's to SOUND like 101."

So he hired a large Bowl orchestra to replicate those sounds he created in his studio.

Many of us here in our little studios create awesome sounds that would not otherwise exist except for the MidiBox and its unlimited potential.

pk

• 5 months later...

My God!!! Is it that long ago I set out to do this??

Well, bad news. I'm back to finish it. he he he.

Going with the matrix. Looking at the schems for the 8 by 8 module, it says that a diode needs to be connected at each switch. Not possible, and not necessary. As there will only ever be one contact in any row, they can share the diode (I think!!). I have posted elsewhere that cutting bussbars is a no go. Once before I even imagined doing it, and again, after I did it. It is really hard work, although the jury is still out, as I thought of another idea about it, though I bite my tongue till I am sure it is feesable.

Now to the matrix. I could do woth some pointers in expanding the original 8 by 8 to 9 by 'at least nine'

Any ideas where to start. If I expand beyond eight in either direction, do I automatically have to move into extra shift registers? Am totally lost in ASM. :P

'please hekp obe one kanobi, you are my only......'

Right, head melted, off to watch Star Wars.....

MP

• 2 months later...

OK folks. On the last bend in the road. I have one problem that I need help with though.

Here is a pic thus far

469081792_9888b405b4.jpg?v=0

Thanks to QBAS, I have been able to run the matrix that runs the first sets of drawbars (on the left).

However, something strange is occuring. Sometimes they work, and sometimes they dont.

First off, ill explain the construction.

469081796_381af0ffdf.jpg?v=0

The nine bus bars that run over the drawbars are connected to the DIN, and at the rear, the eighteen stops are connected to the DOUT. A diode is placed at the rear before the connection with the cothode toward the DOUT module.

When it works, great. Each drawbar sends an individual controller signal to the PC, with a degree of nine different values, represent of the bus bar that it is in contact with, with values rnging from 0 (stop 0) to 127 (stop 9).

The problem is ,and for no reason that I can see or think through, it goes wrong all of a sudden, and puliing any single drawbar, will send the controller signals for each of the other drawbars dependant on its value- ie. if one drawbar is moved and it is at stop 2, they all move to stop two. Basically, what i am trying to say is that all the drawbars on screen move together.

And also, when this happens, the lowest value, 0, does not work.

I am truly despesrate to get my leg over, but have vowed not to copulate till this project is done!!!!

Help :P

Hey QBAS,

Thanks for getting back. I would be surprised if it is the code, as that would not explain why it would work, then stop working. It has to be mechanical....

I first off want to get it to it's own power supply, and see if the problem is there. Other than that, I a will be stuck, as testing the DOUT will be a bit of a problem, as I have not stuffed any of the 220k resistors. I was hoping that someone may have had a similar experience with this before.

Thanks for getting back.

Mark.