Does anybody want XY-Pads?

SLP

Spectrasymbol has developped new XY-Pads which work like 2 independent Pots. They are also supposed to act like a pot. This means that the value doesn't go to zero when you don't touch the pad.

I will get more information later.

Is there anybody who wants such a pad?

If there are enough people I'll order them.

Last I checked spectrasymbol was rather nice about giving away samples

I've still got a pile of their stuff around here somewhere.  Cool stuff too, all manner of pressure and position sensors.

Count me as interested in this new xy thingy, not returning to 0 when released is a big plus.

Count me in for XY Pads and any of their softpots...

I've only got one sample of their softpot... eventually I'm going to make a MIDIbox ribbon controller and eventually was going to arrange a bulk order if enough people wanted to make their own. But that's a long way off...

Nah spectra were lame about samples. They handed out a few, but quickly cut back when we hit hem too hard :( Only a handful of the dozens of people around here actually got the sample they asked for.

Count me in for some XY/ribbon/pot goodies though....

Nah spectra were lame about samples. They handed out a few, but quickly cut back when we hit hem too hard :( Only a handful of the dozens of people around here actually got the sample they asked for.

That's because people around here who ask for samples aren't really the intended audience. Samples are supposed to go to those who literally want a sample, to possible use a lot more in the future. They aren't intended to be handouts for those who are too cheap to buy their own.

(The same goes for PICs and all other parts...)

-Steve

today I got a mail  from spectrasymbol.

I'll get another mail with datasheet, price, etc.

as soon as this new Pad is available (~3 weeks)

- The thing works contactlessly (?german: berührungslos)

- It works with magnets

- sensitive area is about 55x75mm

• 3 weeks later...

I haven't recieved any additional information (datasheet, price) yet.  :(

I think there is a thread about integrating a usual XY-Pad in a Midibox.

The XY-Pad I'm interested in works just like 2 independent pots.

I think it shouldn't be difficult to build a MBox with one of these.

the Information I got is all written in my 2 last posts.

I'm still waiting for the mail from my spectrasymbol-guy.

matthias

FFC means "Flat Flexible Cable"

If you look at the pad, you'll see that there's no pin that you can solder directly.

The output of the XY pad is some kind of flat cable with 4 tracks, and you absolutely need a FFC with 4 inputs to plug on the connector. One side of the connector is FFC, on the other side you have "normal" metallic pins where you can solder ... to your AIN  ;)

Just type FFC on google and look at the pictures.

hey the description sounds cool :)

I asked for any companies in germany that sell spectraSymbol stuff, but the thing is: most spectraSymbol products get produced on demand based on custom specs (like PCBs); so with most orders there are 1000 EUR gone for "making the production masters"... but I've been told they are about to produce some standards for users like us, it sounds like this is happening right now :D

I can take a look in my bookmarks if this XY-Pad ordering will fail for any reason (which I do not hope! ;D )

ac.

btw: has anybody seen the new KAOSS pad 3?

just found a link in our wiki: http://www.midibox.org/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=trsequencer#korg_kaoss_pad_3  :o ...ui...

Hey Michael  ;D

Yes the Kaoss Pad v3 is really beautiful. When we'll all be millionnaires we can build beautiful machines also  :D just kidding  ;D

I'll try the SoftPots this week-end if I have the time to,

I can't wait to get some FFC to test this XY pad, lying on my desk since monthes  :-\

Cheers !

• 1 month later...

hi

sign me up for a couple of them

about ffc i had the same problem with a touch pad i used for a project and i ve found out a solution

i usually pick up all kind of electronic trash and i got some old vhs players, inside i ve salvaged some ribbon cables and easily cut off just the number of wires i needed and slipped the ribbon into the socket..

now i think there are different kinds and sizes of ffc but if you re lucky you can use the same trick.

I have some more of those ribbon cables so if you can send me the tech data of the socket i can check if they will fit... let me know

simone

<<vacation is .... writing a lot of posts in the forum>>

yeah .. i ve found out myself (and reread the posts) that what you need is a connector :-\ .... anyway on the same touch pads i had to connect the pins of the buttons (also connected to ffc cables) to external buttons.I solved the problem the hard way and peeled some of the plastic away, soldered new cables to the ffc, some tiny shrinking hose and there you go.

simone