yamaha ym2149 soundchip

jerash

hello SID users  :)

while considering building a SIDstation, my friend showed me 3 old Atari with a YM2149 soundchip inside...

mmmm any chance to use them instead of a sid ?

i found that page :

http://saint.atari.org/html/doc/ym2149.html

it looks like the device can be controlled with a PIC.

Can anybody confirm that ?

i could be involved in the creation of the box, but would need some support for the programming side.

RAF

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hello SID users  :)

while considering building a SIDstation, my friend showed me 3 old Atari with a YM2149 soundchip inside...

mmmm any chance to use them instead of a sid ?

i found that page :

http://saint.atari.org/html/doc/ym2149.html

it looks like the device can be controlled with a PIC.

Can anybody confirm that ?

i could be involved in the creation of the box, but would need some support for the programming side.

RAF

It would be cool if it was possiblee to do the same with Amigas too eventully.  Hehe an old school computer synth range :D

Evil Tez

As far as I know the Amiga soundchip is not a synthesizer like the SID, but a 4-channel 8-bit sampleplayer. So it would be an old-school sampler, not a synth ;)

(hence the protracker 4-channel MOD-rage that began on Amiga).

It would be cool if it was possiblee to do the same with Amigas too eventully.  Hehe an old school computer synth range :D

Evil Tez

As far as I know the Amiga soundchip is not a synthesizer like the SID, but a 4-channel 8-bit sampleplayer. So it would be an old-school sampler, not a synth ;)

(hence the protracker 4-channel MOD-rage that began on Amiga).

Guest dendy

And what about supporting yamaha OPL3 (YM262) and OPL4 (YMF278B)... that's will be GREAT !!!

..im my dreams i see MidiBox SID and MidiBox OPL4 on my desktop...

:-)))

Guest dendy

And what about supporting yamaha OPL3 (YM262) and OPL4 (YMF278B)... that's will be GREAT !!!

..im my dreams i see MidiBox SID and MidiBox OPL4 on my desktop...

:-)))

I would prefer a Yamaha OPL before a YM2149, because the FM concept offers new possibilities (the YM2149 is similar to the SID, but with reduced features, it wouldn't make fun).

Since OPL3 and OPL4 are normaly integrated in ASICs or only available as SMD, how about this easy solution?

mbhp_opl.gif

;-)

Best Regards, Thorsten.

I would prefer a Yamaha OPL before a YM2149, because the FM concept offers new possibilities (the YM2149 is similar to the SID, but with reduced features, it wouldn't make fun).

Since OPL3 and OPL4 are normaly integrated in ASICs or only available as SMD, how about this easy solution?

mbhp_opl.gif

;-)

Best Regards, Thorsten.

Hey,

thanks for all these replys.

After hours on the net, i've jsut realized how YM chips are everywhere.

Even if less powerfull than SID (replying to thorsten) i think i'll have some work on it as i now have a chip at home (d2k : the documentation was found on the same page  ;D)

Now seeing this ISA BRIDGE  :o ... this is the way to reuse my old ISA soundcards. This look very interesting Thorsten.

Do you plan connectivity for only 1 card ?

Would it be restricted to Yamaha OPL chip ? (by the way i don't really know what are these chips, could you help)

Thanks again, RAF

Hey,

thanks for all these replys.

After hours on the net, i've jsut realized how YM chips are everywhere.

Even if less powerfull than SID (replying to thorsten) i think i'll have some work on it as i now have a chip at home (d2k : the documentation was found on the same page  ;D)

Now seeing this ISA BRIDGE  :o ... this is the way to reuse my old ISA soundcards. This look very interesting Thorsten.

Do you plan connectivity for only 1 card ?

Would it be restricted to Yamaha OPL chip ? (by the way i don't really know what are these chips, could you help)

Thanks again, RAF

Search in the web for "yamaha fm" ;-)

Yamaha OPL was a very popular sound chip in the early nineteens, supported by nearly every PC sound card.

I just have purchased a couple of old soundblaster and galaxy soundcards for 1 Euro each and will evaluate the possibilities in the next weeks - no more info before my first tries.

Best Regards, Thorsten.

Search in the web for "yamaha fm" ;-)

Yamaha OPL was a very popular sound chip in the early nineteens, supported by nearly every PC sound card.

I just have purchased a couple of old soundblaster and galaxy soundcards for 1 Euro each and will evaluate the possibilities in the next weeks - no more info before my first tries.

Best Regards, Thorsten.

Guest dendy

MBHP ISA BRIDGE ??????

OH !!!

I DON'T BELEVE MY EYES !!

G R E A T ! ! ! ! ! ! ! !

COOOOL !!!!

my unused ISA card Yamaha SW60XG is waiting for this module !! :)))

Thorsten, you're the BEST !!

YEaaah... mbhp isa bridge... oh..