yamaha ym2149 soundchip

jerash

Guest dendy

MBHP ISA BRIDGE ??????

OH !!!

I DON'T BELEVE MY EYES !!

G R E A T ! ! ! ! ! ! ! !

COOOOL !!!!

my unused ISA card Yamaha SW60XG is waiting for this module !! :)))

Thorsten, you're the BEST !!

YEaaah... mbhp isa bridge... oh..

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's something much phatter: not FM but wavetable synthesis. :) We've seen what can be done with very basic wavetables and processing through the SID, but this is a big brother in comparison.

It is a larger beast and may require some fancy additions, but it could be very powerful indeed.

It's the AMD Interwave chip, like what was used on the Gravis Ultrasound (SDK available here: http://www.alsa-project.org/alsa/ftp/manuals/gus/iw_sdk20.zip -- contains all the IC details and more) which is a powerful wavetable based _stereo_ synthesiser allowing user-patchable waves (rather than hard-wired Sines, and other waves in the SID) depending on the amount of supplied ram (up to 8mb of 30pin ram).

Synthesiser:

The wavetable synthesizer offers 32 16-bit stereo voices, all running at a 44.1-kHz frame rate. Each voice supports frequency interpolation, envelope generation, tremolo, vibrato, panning, and volume control.

Integrated Effects Processing

An on-chip effects processor provides up to eight channels of delay-based accumulators to simulate effects such as reverb, echo, chorus, and flange. Effects can be assigned to individual voices or to any combination of voices.

Low Frequency Oscillators (LFOs)

Sixty-four LFOs provide tremolo and vibrato effects.

On-Chip 16-Bit Synthesizer Digital-to-Analog Converters (DACs)

The InterWave IC converts the stereo digital output of the synthesizer into analog form with on-chip DACs.

Patch Formats

The IC supports wavetable patches in 8-bit PCM, 16-bit PCM, or 8-bit µ-law compressed formats.

General Features of the Interwave IC:

InterWave IC Features

Major features of the InterWave audio IC include

- Support for Sound Blaster, AdLib, and MPU-401 software and compatibility with Advanced Gravis Ultrasound hardware

- Glueless, Plug and Play Industry Standard Architecture (PNP ISA) compliant system bus interface

- Wavetable-based stereo synthesizer

- Local memory control support for

— Up to four 4-Mbyte DRAM banks

— Up to four 2Mx16 EPROM banks

— 8-bit linear, 8-bit µ-law, or 16-bit linear, 44.1-kHz samples through the synthesizer

- Synthesizer support for up to 32 simultaneous voices

- Envelope control, tremolo, and vibrato for each voice

- Synthesizer support for up to eight delay-based accumulators which can provide effects such as echo, reverb, and flange

- Built-in stereo coder/decoder (codec), designed to be Crystal CS4231 compatible:

— Independent record and playback sample rates

— Sample rates up to 48 kHz

— 8-bit and 16-bit linear, µ-law, A-law, ADPCM, mono and stereo data formats

- Mixer with the following I/O:

— Four sets of stereo external inputs

— One set of stereo synthesizer inputs

— One set of stereo system-bus-sourced DAC inputs

— One set of stereo destined-for-system-bus ADC outputs

— One set of stereo external outputs

— One external mono input and one external mono output

- Playback (DAC) and record (ADC) FIFOs in the codec

- Sample counters and a timer in the codec

I have an old Gravis Ultrasound PnP sitting at home, populated with 8mb ram..  hmmm.. would be nice to breathe life back into it as a fully fledged synth!! :) :)

Not to mention that you can probably pick these up dirt cheap now also!

cheers!

kieran

Here's something much phatter: not FM but wavetable synthesis. :) We've seen what can be done with very basic wavetables and processing through the SID, but this is a big brother in comparison.

It is a larger beast and may require some fancy additions, but it could be very powerful indeed.

It's the AMD Interwave chip, like what was used on the Gravis Ultrasound (SDK available here: http://www.alsa-project.org/alsa/ftp/manuals/gus/iw_sdk20.zip -- contains all the IC details and more) which is a powerful wavetable based _stereo_ synthesiser allowing user-patchable waves (rather than hard-wired Sines, and other waves in the SID) depending on the amount of supplied ram (up to 8mb of 30pin ram).

Synthesiser:

The wavetable synthesizer offers 32 16-bit stereo voices, all running at a 44.1-kHz frame rate. Each voice supports frequency interpolation, envelope generation, tremolo, vibrato, panning, and volume control.

Integrated Effects Processing

An on-chip effects processor provides up to eight channels of delay-based accumulators to simulate effects such as reverb, echo, chorus, and flange. Effects can be assigned to individual voices or to any combination of voices.

Low Frequency Oscillators (LFOs)

Sixty-four LFOs provide tremolo and vibrato effects.

On-Chip 16-Bit Synthesizer Digital-to-Analog Converters (DACs)

The InterWave IC converts the stereo digital output of the synthesizer into analog form with on-chip DACs.

Patch Formats

The IC supports wavetable patches in 8-bit PCM, 16-bit PCM, or 8-bit µ-law compressed formats.

General Features of the Interwave IC:

InterWave IC Features

Major features of the InterWave audio IC include

- Support for Sound Blaster, AdLib, and MPU-401 software and compatibility with Advanced Gravis Ultrasound hardware

- Glueless, Plug and Play Industry Standard Architecture (PNP ISA) compliant system bus interface

- Wavetable-based stereo synthesizer

- Local memory control support for

— Up to four 4-Mbyte DRAM banks

— Up to four 2Mx16 EPROM banks

— 8-bit linear, 8-bit µ-law, or 16-bit linear, 44.1-kHz samples through the synthesizer

- Synthesizer support for up to 32 simultaneous voices

- Envelope control, tremolo, and vibrato for each voice

- Synthesizer support for up to eight delay-based accumulators which can provide effects such as echo, reverb, and flange

- Built-in stereo coder/decoder (codec), designed to be Crystal CS4231 compatible:

— Independent record and playback sample rates

— Sample rates up to 48 kHz

— 8-bit and 16-bit linear, µ-law, A-law, ADPCM, mono and stereo data formats

- Mixer with the following I/O:

— Four sets of stereo external inputs

— One set of stereo synthesizer inputs

— One set of stereo system-bus-sourced DAC inputs

— One set of stereo destined-for-system-bus ADC outputs

— One set of stereo external outputs

— One external mono input and one external mono output

- Playback (DAC) and record (ADC) FIFOs in the codec

- Sample counters and a timer in the codec

I have an old Gravis Ultrasound PnP sitting at home, populated with 8mb ram..  hmmm.. would be nice to breathe life back into it as a fully fledged synth!! :) :)

Not to mention that you can probably pick these up dirt cheap now also!

cheers!

kieran

No, this wasn't an april joke ;-)

But forget the wavetable solution, a PIC is not practical for so much data, an old 386, running under Linux, can do this much better.

I owned a GUS many years ago, before I bought an AWE. Sure, these were pretty good soundcards with great possibilities, but a real synthesizer is something completely different. Or how do you realize a pulsewidth modulation with a wavetable card? ;-)

In the meantime wavetable soundcards can be easily replaced by (free) sampler PlugIns, and in fact it makes more fun to manage all the sounds on a computer and to control the parameters with a common MIDIbox.

Best Regards, Thorsten.

No, this wasn't an april joke ;-)

But forget the wavetable solution, a PIC is not practical for so much data, an old 386, running under Linux, can do this much better.

I owned a GUS many years ago, before I bought an AWE. Sure, these were pretty good soundcards with great possibilities, but a real synthesizer is something completely different. Or how do you realize a pulsewidth modulation with a wavetable card? ;-)

In the meantime wavetable soundcards can be easily replaced by (free) sampler PlugIns, and in fact it makes more fun to manage all the sounds on a computer and to control the parameters with a common MIDIbox.

Best Regards, Thorsten.

Guest dendy

:)

one little question... i want to use my yamaha sw60xg as external devide connected to my PC through MIDI... (because i don't have free isa slot in my pc) but sw60xg has not midi port.. is there some simple way to coonect power supply & midi in/out through ISA connector on sw60xg ? i mean without core, only some simple module...

Guest dendy

:)

one little question... i want to use my yamaha sw60xg as external devide connected to my PC through MIDI... (because i don't have free isa slot in my pc) but sw60xg has not midi port.. is there some simple way to coonect power supply & midi in/out through ISA connector on sw60xg ? i mean without core, only some simple module...

... a 4-channel 8-bit sampleplayer. So it would be an old-school sampler ...

Well how about an analogue sampler??

http://www.aplusinc.com.tw/RECORDING%20&%20PLAYBACK/APR9600.zip

Low cost solid state 60 second voice recorder IC - warning link is to a ZIP/PDF file

Yes, that's right - analogue.  It records sound as voltage levels in the capacitors of 256k of Flash memory.  It's pretty lofi.  There are lots of kits around using this IC, and I have been thinking it would be good to use in a MBHP system.

Can be used as 8 separate samples (drums?) or one long one.  Playback speed can be varied.  And it looks quite easy to interface.

... a 4-channel 8-bit sampleplayer. So it would be an old-school sampler ...

Well how about an analogue sampler??

http://www.aplusinc.com.tw/RECORDING%20&%20PLAYBACK/APR9600.zip

Low cost solid state 60 second voice recorder IC - warning link is to a ZIP/PDF file

Yes, that's right - analogue.  It records sound as voltage levels in the capacitors of 256k of Flash memory.  It's pretty lofi.  There are lots of kits around using this IC, and I have been thinking it would be good to use in a MBHP system.

Can be used as 8 separate samples (drums?) or one long one.  Playback speed can be varied.  And it looks quite easy to interface.

I understand TK with that one.

You *could* do all that (more or less) cool stuff, but its so damn much work to do all that. Did anybody of you ever try to design and programm a whole synthi? I did, and I can tell you, I`ll try it again, when I got loooong holidays.

We should be just thankful for TK´s great work up to now and pray to god (or whoever), that he keeps it up.

He´s still over the MB64 Seq, the SID Control Unit and some other stuff.

Try it yourself just once! It´s damn hard time-intensive!

So: Also you hear that every day, TK:

--< THNX !!! >---

I understand TK with that one.

You *could* do all that (more or less) cool stuff, but its so damn much work to do all that. Did anybody of you ever try to design and programm a whole synthi? I did, and I can tell you, I`ll try it again, when I got loooong holidays.

We should be just thankful for TK´s great work up to now and pray to god (or whoever), that he keeps it up.

He´s still over the MB64 Seq, the SID Control Unit and some other stuff.

Try it yourself just once! It´s damn hard time-intensive!

So: Also you hear that every day, TK:

--< THNX !!! >---

whilst we are talking about the OPL synths, this may be of interest to you all. Larz Ahlzen wrote an FM Editor for the AWE32 FM Chip etc, the hardware features of the 2 operator OPL chip are limited but perhaps additonal functionality could be implemented in software. Have a look if you want to discover the possibilies.........Here's the link

http://home2.swipnet.se/~w-26913/awe/fmexpl.htm

The main home page is

http://home2.swipnet.se/~w-26913/awe/awe.htm

As for the YM2149, i looked into this a while ago, the simplest way to turn your YM2149 into a 'sound module' is to leave it inside the ST and use 'SOUND CHIP SYNTH' available free from http://www.cow-net.co.uk/ you can then play the chip via midi with full CC access to all parameters. The audio out can be wired up to a jack (its one of the pins on the multi-pin monitor out) Its a simpler solution and you can save your MBHP board for a SID or the ISA SB Card!

UPDATE: Ive since discovered the slightly more recent OPL3 chip is actually 4 op, and has far far more potential (selectable waveforms no less, a feel a wavetable coming on...). This site details some of the more technical info

http://www.fee.vutbr.cz/~arnost/opl/opl3.html

KJH

UK

whilst we are talking about the OPL synths, this may be of interest to you all. Larz Ahlzen wrote an FM Editor for the AWE32 FM Chip etc, the hardware features of the 2 operator OPL chip are limited but perhaps additonal functionality could be implemented in software. Have a look if you want to discover the possibilies.........Here's the link

http://home2.swipnet.se/~w-26913/awe/fmexpl.htm

The main home page is

http://home2.swipnet.se/~w-26913/awe/awe.htm

As for the YM2149, i looked into this a while ago, the simplest way to turn your YM2149 into a 'sound module' is to leave it inside the ST and use 'SOUND CHIP SYNTH' available free from http://www.cow-net.co.uk/ you can then play the chip via midi with full CC access to all parameters. The audio out can be wired up to a jack (its one of the pins on the multi-pin monitor out) Its a simpler solution and you can save your MBHP board for a SID or the ISA SB Card!

UPDATE: Ive since discovered the slightly more recent OPL3 chip is actually 4 op, and has far far more potential (selectable waveforms no less, a feel a wavetable coming on...). This site details some of the more technical info

http://www.fee.vutbr.cz/~arnost/opl/opl3.html

KJH

UK