LCD Wiring Advice

toneburst

Anyone any advice for a struggling newbie on wiring up a 16-way ribbon-cable to to an LCD module with 2 rows of 8 holes? There's a great walkthrough on wiring up one with a single row of holes, but things seem to get much more complicated with 2 rows. Also, the Core board has pins labelled 'B-' and 'B+', whereas the pin number list for my LCD module has pins labelled 'A/Vee' and 'K' (all the other correspond nicely). Anyone know which corresponds to B+ and which to B-?

Cheers again guys,

Alex

http://www.toneburst.net

When I did this last, I used some sticky tape to separate the wires into two groups of eight, one for each "row" of the 8x2 header. Do this before you start stripping the wire ends and this will help untangle the mess... you can separate the wires of the cable quite far away so that there's less stress on any one wire at the LCD - i.e. you cut them so they're all about the same length and soldered in place so they're all perpendicular to the LCD PCB.

The best solution is to solder a header to the LCD, so you can put connectors at both ends of a ribbon cable with some crossovers in the middle (with some heatshrink tubing over each join).

The "K" means cathode, the "A" means anode... so B+ goes to A, B- goes to K.

Here's the sequence I used:

- soldered a 2x7 header to the LCD, and two individual pins for the anode and cathode

- crimped an IDC16 (ie, 2x8 connector) to the 16-pin ribbon cable

- separated, stripped, and tinned each of the 16 wires on the other end

- wrote down the colours of each wire next to the pins on the LCD datasheet (printed out)

- tinned each of the pins attached to the LCD

- tacked each wire of the ribbon cable to the appropriate pin on the LCD

- test!

It's not the best method, but I didn't feel like trying to get each individual wire into the right spot on an IDC14 crimp connector.  Maybe I'll try that one next time.  Somehow I still managed to write down the colours wrong on the first attempt - I managed to reverse Vcc and Gnd (whoops!) - but luckily didn't blow up the LCD.

Thanks very much for all the advice- it all sounds good!

I'm toying with the idea of just soldering lengths of ordinary wire to all 16 holes on the LCD module, then using an ordinary plastic mains-style connector block to connect a ribbon cable from the Core board. That way I can at least see if the LCD works and upload the firmware. I can make some kind of more permanent connection once I know everything else is OK.

Alex

http://www.toneburst.net