A dummy question

snaper

Snaper,

The standard connection is just regular MIDI, so as long as you've got some form of MIDI interface on your machine (USB or old 8-pin serial), you're OK. This is also assuming that you're running an audio program or sequencer which will let you map incoming MIDI to the onscreen controls,etc. I'm pretty sure most everything does these days.

Take Care,

George

Snaper,

Sorry for the confusion :-[.

You'll probably need to find one of the Mac users here to help you on utility/burner software and such. If you look in the MIOSStudio forum here, there are a bunch of people obviously running that on Macs, but I'm not sure where they do their PIC burning. FWIW- I know there are a bunch of USB burners available, so I'd imagine something out there does PICs on the Mac.

I'm an old time Mac user myself (going back to the Mac II series). I stopped at the G4 (my last one). My suggestion unfortunately, is to get hold of an old crappy PC running 98 or 95 and DOS, just to do some of this stuff. I've got PCs all over everywhere now, but the machine I frequently blow PICs on is a horribly slow 486DX 75MHz laptop running 95 or DOS. Stuff in the Pentium II class (around G3 speed) isn't even worth trying to sell these days, so a nice 98 capable machine is something you can likely find for free during someone's upgrade. That 486 even cooperates really well with a simple JDM programmer I use. It looks like you may even be more likely to get better COM ports and compatibility on older, otherwise "useless" PCs. If all you need it for is PIC burning, and you hate the idea of bringing in an old PC, you can always drag a JDM or PIC Burner to someone else's PC and do your burn (again, older may be better). Most of the burner software I've run is pretty much "stand-alone" and runs from it's own folder (or even floppy). It won't generally make any setup or install mess on their machine, and most "normal" people's COM ports aren't even being used these days. Once you've got the boot loader burned, you should be able to leave the machine and do the remainder of your transfers via MIDI.

Sorry for the conversion attempt, but everyone should have access to at least one crappy PC, if only for stuff like this. ;)

Take Care,

George

:)

Sorry for the conversion attempt, but everyone should have access to at least one crappy PC, if only for stuff like this. Wink
:)

jidis i do totally agree about this: i am right now building a crap PC with components found on the trash.It will be in charge of running a Ubuntu for downloading purposes and Internet for guests and experiments for me.

About snaper i know from our PMs that you will buy the pic together with the modules probably from Mikes Shop.The PICs coming from Mikes are aready burned with the necessary software, all the following uploading of software to the PIC you can do it with a OSX system (Tiger preferred but i do it in Panther anyway), there is a thread about this here http://www.midibox.org/forum/index.php?topic=5230.0

best

simone

hi again

then you don t need to "burn" anything to the PIC but just uploading some software and you can do that on a mac with no problems at all.

Anyway a Celeron is a good companion for any occasion and will be there humming for you and warming up your house this winter and as long as you keep it plugged into the 220 socket you won t need to feed it or bring it out for a walk.

Seriously, if you plan to use your MB with a Mac i d advice you to use Mac since the beginning for uploading software because you will change and adapt your MB quite often before finding the right tweak.

best

simone

But yeah, I want to buy the full modul from Mike-s shops...

and

then you don t need to "burn" anything to the PIC

yeah you do!

unless it's got the bootstrap loader already burned like the ones from SmashTV....

i guarantee that mike ships PICs with the bootloader, and you won t need to use a PIC burner anymore

so don t worry Snaper, if you buy from Mike you won t need a PIC burner

simone