Questions on MIDIBox64

DJSail

Hi everybody! I'm new to the world of MIDIBoxing and pretty much the same can be said about the world of electronics!

I'm thinking of building a MIDIBox64 to control Sonar 5/6 (MIDIBoxes do work with SONAR don't they?!) I'm hoping to have 16 channel strips each with 1 fader, 2 pots and 3 buttons and LED's (some questions on this after). I'm hoping to a nice job of it and have it just as I want: but before I can do that there are a few questions I would be grateful if anyone could answer!

1:How advanced does my programming knowledge need to be?

2:How important are leds? And how hard are they to integrate?

3:Does the LCD contrast pot count as 1 pot out of the 64?

4:Are any buttons specifically locked to the menu system on the MIDIBox if so how many?

5:Can anybody point me in the right direction for buttons on Digikey UK?

6:How hard would it be to programme a rotary encoder to change the BPM or generally scroll?

I would be grateful if anyone could answer any of these questions, even if you only know the answer to 1 I woudl still be grateful for that!

Thanks!

Dan

Hi everybody!

Welcome aboard!

MIDIBoxes do work with SONAR don't they?!

Sure do.

1:How advanced does my programming knowledge need to be?

For what you described, nearly zero - provided you don't mind reading instructions and following them precisely :)

2:How important are leds? And how hard are they to integrate?

Depends on what you need, but it's easy to do.

3:Does the LCD contrast pot count as 1 pot out of the 64?

(Good question) no it doesn't.

4:Are any buttons specifically locked to the menu system on the MIDIBox if so how many?

Tutorial It pays to read lots around here ;)

5:Can anybody point me in the right direction for buttons on Digikey UK?

That will depend on your front panel design, but you want single pole, normally open/momentary on switches.

6:How hard would it be to programme a rotary encoder to change the BPM or generally scroll?

Not so hard but IMO you're better off using MB64e if you want to use encoders instead of pots.

Hope that helps!

Thanks for that!

I have been reading but I obviously missed the bit on the menu buttons  ::)!

I only need 1 rotary encoder and I'm planning on using all the 64 pots so would I still be able to use the encoder with the Midibox64?

I have found some buttons that seem like what I'm looking for the only problem with them is that they are not obviously panel mountable! I was wondering whether anyone could check the

page for me and give any ideas on how to mount them? They seem quite common buttons so I'm sure there is a way of mounting them! By the way it's the D9R that I'm planning on getting!

That switch is in the default Eagle library BTW. I've used it before. It looks like the "DT6" ITT Switch in the "switch-misc" library. You should be able to use either pin from the two pairs (they're tied together), just don't grab two from the same pair. :o

---- Just realized I had something next to me with them in it. :)

Picture time-

mounted.jpgstandoffs.jpg

If you go with ones where the actual head is smaller than the main round body (12mm?), make sure your panel isn't so thick that they can't get through. Mine are like that. You get a little under 4mm on the top section, and you'll obviously need it to poke through the panel by some. My eighth inch aluminum was too thick, so it squashed the buttons in when they were mounted. I ended up having to shorten my standoffs and grind a recess into the back of the panel for the fat part of the button to sink into. This of course was after I assumed the square holes were too tight and were wedging the buttons down, so I proceeded to enlarge them first. >:(

recess.jpg

Hope that helps,

George