Mackie HUI for ProTools, just the numeric LEDs?

PostSoundinLA

Hello all,

I must say this is a FANTASTIC site, MIDIBOX is awesome.  Right now, I'm working on a little project and I just need a way to generate the 8 numeric LEDs (like the LC or MIDIMON) via the Mackie HUI protocol from ProTools.  Has anyone go any code that might be of use?  I've looked at the MIDI stream from a Mackie HUI, and it's not MTC, it's SYSEX that's driving the numeric LEDs.  I'm assuming it's different than a LC, anyone know for sure?  Either way, I'd need the active sensing responses to keep the HUI alive in ProTools, which I know the LC doesn't have.  I don't know C, but it seems like there is a lot of code very close to what I need floating around out there, and I was hoping someone might point me in the right direction.  Thanks SO much.  :-)

-Evan

I was hoping someone might point me in the right direction.

... well this is the problem when buying a cheap 32bit fixpoint system from a manufacturer who goes proprietary  :D Oooops... couldn't keep my mouth shut once again  ;D

Now without picking on SlowTools:

Best is you buy a kit from SmashTV or Mike and just try to make it work out. If you look at the price... it's not really expensive (1 core and 1 DOUT which you can build on stripboard).

The problem is, that most guys here have the knowledge for the own DAW system and there aren't many PT-freaks here (god thanks... only prfessionals  ;) ).

If you have your kit together you'll get a lot of help where ever possible and you always can give feedback after you tried something.

Greets, Roger

EDIT:

Don't take it personal... nothing against you! I just think ProTools 5 up to 7HD was the worst DAW I ever had to work with day for day the last about 4 years. - Totaly over rated. I should sue my last employee for making me work (or should I say "mouse"?) with it every day. Bad editor, worst DSP engine on the market, big cheapy plastic controller sold for a fortune...

Well, I'm sure most people don't love Microsoft Word, but it's everywhere, so we use it.  I'd prefer an electric car to my gas car for a myriad of reasons, but the gas cars are everywhere, so there you go.  We work with what we have available.  Anyway, I plan to buy a MIDIBox core and DOUT from SmashTV, but there is no code to drive the LED display via HUI protocol that I have been able to find.  This was my question, not whether Pro Tools is the best editing system out there.  Does anyone have some code that would take the HUI numeric display SYSEX and allow me to drive the DOUT?  Thanks.

-Evan 

It's OK Evan

people love to hate Protools

yes I use word

and I use Protools

and I also like to take a swipe at Digidesign whenever possible

... Alsihad and MOA (mother of alsihad) ... a derogatory term invented by Fletcher and his mate over at PSW ... I think

It is our job as Digidesign buyers and users to keep them honest and on track.

As said above

... buy a kit from SmashTV or Mike and just try to make it work out. If you look at the price... it's not really expensive (1 core and 1 DOUT which you can build on stripboard).

and start experimenting.

perhaps we can find the right combination and help

Digidesign haven't made a decent controller yet and their price is ridiculous so you can't blame Roger for taking a swipe.

Evan,

Couldn't help but wonder when I first read this: Is there no regular MTC output from modern day ProTools (I left back in the NuBus days 8))?

BTW- I've wanted a JLCooper CuePoint ever since it was actually current, and finally got around to grabbing one about a month ago. Thorsten's MTC/MIDI Clock code kicks the crap out of the CuePoint's display. There are many ways to configure it, so maybe I'll find a better one, but the display's response time is horrible and it's missing some of the "follow while not in play" type of features. - Another vote for the MIDIMon!

George 

Well, I'm sure most people don't love Microsoft Word, but it's everywhere, so we use it.  I'd prefer an electric car to my gas car for a myriad of reasons, but the gas cars are everywhere, so there you go.

Yes that's a good point but it's up to the professionals and the more knowledgeable to instigate change... Which is why I recommend OpenOffice and take a tram.

If we don't do it, who will?

No trams in L.A. I'm afraid, the car companies and big oil saw to that back in the 50s.  Greedy bastards!!  :-( 

I need MORE than a MTC display for my project, because I need the ability to display Feet+Frames (or bars+beats) as well, basically I want it to display whatever PT is displaying, not just SMPTE.  As far as I can tell, this can only be accomplished through a Mackie HUI emulation.  Thanks for all the info.  If anyone has any more ideas, I'm all ears.  Thanks.  :-)

-Evan

• 2 weeks later...

I've looked at the MIDI stream from a Mackie HUI, and it's not MTC, it's SYSEX that's driving the numeric LEDs.  I'm assuming it's different than a LC, anyone know for sure?  Either way, I'd need the active sensing responses to keep the HUI alive in ProTools, which I know the LC doesn't have.  I don't know C, but it seems like there is a lot of code very close to what I need floating around out there, and I was hoping someone might point me in the right direction.  Thanks SO much.  :-)

Hi Evan,

First of all, the HUI protocol is closer to that of Motomix than to the protocol of Mackie Control, so if you want to build something yourself, start with the MotorMix emulation and start modifying it.

Either way, I'd need the active sensing responses to keep the HUI alive in ProTools, which I know the LC doesn't have. 

That is actaully the simplest of the issues: ProTools sends a "Ping" which is "note-on, key 0, velocity 0"  (90 00 00) and the HUI needs to reply with "note-on, key 0, vel 127" (90 00 7F). It is specified in the MIDI implementation chart, page 28 in the pdf manual. www.mackie.com/pdf/hui_om.pdf

The time code digits are sent as SysEx - as you have discovered - in a fairly simple protocol:

F0 00 00 66 05 00 11 D1 D2 D3 D4 ... F7

0x11 is the magic number that tells you that it is the time/display. D1-D8 are the digits (right to left). ProTools does not always send all 8 digits!

Digit values are 0-9. If a digit is 0x20 it is all off. If bit 9 (0x10) is set, the dot should be lit. 0x0D is minus sign. '-'

That's it....!  :)

For reference: byte 6 tells where the text goes:

0x10 = Scribble strip text (Byte 7 is index. 8-11 is ASCII.)

0x11 = LED (See above)

0x12 = LCD (Byte 7 is index of 8 * 10 chars matching a 2x40 display)

Why I know all this? Well, I started making a MidiBox HUI emulation two years ago, but quit after I got the LED and LCD working.

I fired it up tonight, and still got it working:

HUIDisplays.jpg

It consists of a core, a LED board with two 74HC595 wired in a matrix, and a LCD. The chips can only deliver enough power to drive a fairly faint light, but since I like to work in the dark, it is kind of okay.

Recently I got a real Mackie HUI, so the chances of this project to be completed are fairly slim. Since I made some major modifications compared to how a MidiBox LC is wired up, you will not be able to reuse my code. Sorry.  :(

Best regards

/Preben Friis