volume pot and encoders

fokfokfok

hey guys :D

I finally completed my step A sid, and now I'm going to put it in a nice box and actually make som music.  However, I have to figure a few things out first.

1. Has anybody tried to add a volume pot to the output?  What value, and how should it be wired?

2. I'm not satisfied with the bourns encoder, and searching the forums it seems like the voti and alps encoders are the most popular, but which one is the best one?  Also, I wouldn't mind paying som more if I could get an even better encoder.  Are the voti and alps encoders the best, or are they just popular because they are cheap as well?

Hi,

1. Has anybody tried to add a volume pot to the output?  What value, and how should it be wired?

The simpliest way is a passive regulation with a 10k or 50k Pot

Just connect the left pin of the pot to Ground. The right Pin of the pot to the Out of the SID. And the middle pin is your "regulated" output then.

greets

Doc

i am in the stage where i'm about to buy encoders for my seq.  what don't you like about the encoders made by bourns?   what do i even look for when buying encoders?

It feels a bit cheap, and though it usually works fine it sometimes does weird stuff like not reacting or even decrease values that should be increased.

I don't think it is wired wrong, since it works fine the most of the time.  The only thing that doesn't work very well is when I turn it fast, but I think that's probably a software issue.  But even if I did wire it wrong, it still feels a kinda cheap, so I would like to try another encoder.  I should mention though, that I'm not really a big fan of encoders, so I'm maybe a bit hard to please.

I bought alps encoders and they feels pretty good quality.

I also have few bourns and they feels cheaper than alps, but they was cheaper. I dont know how are both of them if you use them alot but I can`t say something bad for now.

And now, something about electribe... I doubt electribe encoder is much better quality than pots. Electribe have worst pots I`ve see in my life. They are rocking like crazy... almost comic. I have Korg MikroControll, which has worst encoders I`ve ever seen. I bought a new one ant they started to jump after extremly little usage. So, I am startiong to have a very bad opinion about Korgs quality.