Reducing noise in my 4x SID? (Other problems!)

jackan

Oh man, I totally did the same thing, I was trying to debug my FM and was getting kind of frantic as nothing was working. So I ended up swapping a hundred things, plugging in ground and -12V and  turning it on. Thank god I didn't have my FM module attached, or any other module for that matter. So I basically just killed the PIC and the Octocoupler, not too much loss, as I was prepared for other projects and had extras.

Oh man, I totally did the same thing, I was trying to debug my FM and was getting kind of frantic as nothing was working. So I ended up swapping a hundred things, plugging in ground and -12V and  turning it on. Thank god I didn't have my FM module attached, or any other module for that matter. So I basically just killed the PIC and the Octocoupler, not too much loss, as I was prepared for other projects and had extras.

Remember me warning you just yesterday about fixing one thing at a time? Now you know why :)

This thread is turning into Biggest MIDIbox Bloopers.

Don't feel bad. I fried four 6581 SIDs with 14v on the 12v supply line after converting to the "C64 optimized PSU" circuit. Ooops, I forgot that 7812. Ooops, 9+5=14, not 12. I even heard them fading away...  :'(

I have redeemed myself since by acquiring massive amounts of SIDs and sharing them around  ;D

Hi all,

To add to the MidiBox Bloopers list, I've fried a PIC and a LCD controller with a custom made PSU that had a slightly desoldered regulator (actually copper traces were a bit taken off because I never put the PSU in a box) that gave the input voltage at its output... Luckily enough my PIC was unmounted at that moment  :)

I'm currently working on a SEQ and I'll put in some protections against overvoltages, shorts and voltage inversions. For the SEQ it's maybe less severe because it's just components you can still find easily in shops but for the SID and FM, I think it's definitely more than worth it.

Best regards,

Lall

I'm just so unlucky that I found a PSU that supplies 5v, 12+ and 12- instead of 7, 12+ and 12-.

BTW I think the FM setup is sketchy. There are supposed to be 2 sockets, one for +12,-12 and GND and another with just 5v. So if you forget to connect it you can send 5v to an ungrounded module (burnout).

I might have done that at one point, it's easy because it's not setup as a 4 conductor connector which would make that kind of mistake impossible (unlesss... I find a way)