weird pot situtation.

thetimboroni

• 3 weeks later...

hello again.  i know it's been a couple weeks but i've been out of town and working at the Master's Tournament.

I finally got a chance to try out Smash's "touch test" today and here's the results:

....all 8 function as they should.  Meaning - grounded = no random events.  open = random events ("jitters" as Smash says)

edit: i also checked the ground from the gameport to the core.  Change in voltage is .001 so that doesn't seem to be the problem either.

Based on Timboronies experiences, I have narrowed down the laws governing MIDIbox construction to one of two possible maxims:

1: Being that thetimboroni is a nexus for MIDIbox gremlens, for his own good, he should be barred from building any future MIDIBoxes  :'(

pooor pooor tim

2: Being that thetimboroni is a nexus for MIDIbox gremlens, for OUR own good, he should be made to build at least 4 MIDIboxes a year, containing all gremlens within his own box, and thus assuring all other MIDIbox builders will have a troublefree and joyous construction.  ???

pooor pooor tim

Stryd - nothing happens when I switch the ABC lines.

However, after rewiring the whole thing I now have A0, A3, A5, and A6 working.  If you recall, earlier I had A1, A2, A5, and A6 working.... so while the same number of pots work... this indeed progress in that I have something new responding!

yah..  Id like to see the results of an ohm test between a common ground or 5 volt point and each pot input pin on the chips.  Do this with power off and the chips out.

you need to divide and conquer.  test at each pot input pin on the chip socket and sweep the pot.  You should get a nice 0-10K ohm (or whatever rated pot you have) sweep for each one.

Alternatively you can do it with power on, with the chips out. In such a case, measure between the chip input for the pot and ground, and measure VOLTS.. not ohms.. it should respond to the pot from 0-5 volts.