Why a double-layered core?

mgalper

Hello Folks,

Sorry if this is too simple a question, but I did my own core PCB and then received smash tv's (thought it might be a good idea to have a back-upin case i did something stupid) only to notice that it is double-layered. I never noticed the core PCB is double-layered looking at the layout data. Plus, the pictured Core does not appear based on a double-layered  PCB. What I am missing? Thanks for your very needed help.

M.

The blue tracks are bottom layer, the red tracks are top layer, where they overlap it is magenta.

coreR4dqv.gif

To answer why it's double-layered - two layers means neater, more compact routing and no need for bridges, and soldering plated through-holes is so much nicer, the molten solder falls into the hole instead of just tenting on top.

ok, and where/how do I get the layout and separate top/bottom tracks (I mean, to be able to print them myself)? I downloaded the core layout data from ucapps and used eagle, where I only found a couple of bridges on the top layer...

or, I am missing it entirely and what I did will work (I did soldered the bridges I could find...)

sorry again if this too much of a newbie question...

M.

Not sure what you are trying to imply here, but you need to step off with the tone. 

I wonder why Smash TV never released .brd  files for all his boards?
I used to release .brd files, but grew tired of the endless help requests from new Eagle users, help requests caused be people running cracked/pirate Eagle keys, and a couple who thought it better to yell at me than blame themselves for not hitting the 'ratsnest' button before etching a board.

If MBHP is open source project everything shuld be published in case somebody needs it.
So who cares how much extra effort it costs me to support it, because someone -thinks- they need it? 

My layouts are not much use unless you can do double sided with plated through holes and vias.  They are tuned for a pro fab house, not home etching, since the official layouts are optimized for that.

I asked him that over email few times but never got an answer :(
Right.  I have answered this specifically here on the forum more than once. 

Don't try to make me out as some bad guy because I don't have the time or patience to answer a random demand repeated several times. 

I'm here to serve, but thats by my choice, not your right.

Smash

So who cares how much extra effort it costs me to support it, because someone -thinks- they need it? 

My layouts are not much use unless you can do double sided with plated through holes and vias.  They are tuned for a pro fab house, not home etching, since the official layouts are optimized for that.

I can only give some extra ads to Smash. Etching double-sided stuff is not easy for DIYers. It´s something for professional PCB fabs. Why that is so? Google for "DIY via double-sided". It´s kick-ass effort to do copper filled through holes and most DIYers are not able to produce them really good (some workarounds are possible like sticking little wires through the holes and soldering it on both sides). So double-sided stuff is more like "buy-it" and one-sided stuff is "DIY-it". I tried both and I´ll stick to one-sided boards since then...

Not sure what you are trying to imply here, but you need to step off with the tone.

Chill Dude, what tone are you talking about? Read again, and you will notice I was just wondering.

I used to release .brd files, but grew tired of the endless help requests from new Eagle users, help requests caused be people running cracked/pirate Eagle keys, and a couple who thought it better to yell at me than blame themselves for not hitting the 'ratsnest' button before etching a board.

If you don`t want to do endless help, which is understandable, than you publish both .brd and .PDF schematic. If you publish files on Wiki (PCB Layout Improvements), nobody would bother you with questions regarding Eagle.

Sure the are for pro fab house, but there are local services that have proper equipment to do it. Using their service to make PCBs you designed could be the solution to have quality boards. I cannot order from you, and if I could, shipping would cost more than making it locally (Serbia). I can do my regular boards at home, but rather have some of your quality, especially those DOUT boards because they have so many bridges.

I'm here to serve, but thats by my choice, not your right.

Nobody is here to serve, and nobody here expects something from anybody! It is all about sharing.

I think It would be nice to have access to all files involved in this project. If TK can publish all his work, why is so big deal for you to publish your redesign?

...wish you all the best

Chill Dude, what tone are you talking about? Read again, and you will notice I was just wondering.

I disagree. I almost stepped in to defend Smash but decided to mind my business. There was a definite stand-offish tone to the post, but as you and I know, sometimes English can cause these problems if you don't speak it as a first language.

If you don`t want to do endless help, which is understandable, than you publish both .brd and .PDF schematic. If you publish files on Wiki (PCB Layout Improvements), nobody would bother you with questions regarding Eagle.

Ahhhh, ya think? It doesn't work like that unfortunately. People would still bug him, I can assure you. Also, every moment that smash spends, ether providing support or providing documentation to avoid providing direct support, is a moment that he can't spend for himself, or his family, or more importantly, etching boards for me  ;D I think that he provides enough already. He's drawn the line where he is comfortable.

I cannot order from you, and if I could, shipping would cost more than making it locally (Serbia). I can do my regular boards at home, but rather have some of your quality, especially those DOUT boards because they have so many bridges.

why is so big deal for you to publish your redesign?

I think he already explained that.

I think that your situation must be really frustrating, and I also think that you might be unintentionally directing some of that frustration towards Smash. 

edit: typos

With the benefit of some coffee in my blood let me ratchet down the 'grrrr level' a bit... ;)

I know it might look like I am trying to game the community by not releasing the files, but I promise that is not the case. 

When I quit putting the .brd files up I replaced them with .pdf files of the layers, then came the endless questions about getting Acrobat to them to print at the correct size.....I'm sure you see now the cycle I'm in, and my last post is an indication of my frustration with this issue.....

That said I would be happy to generate some .pdf files of whatever you want, but by public request only, and considering I am not the one to ask for help to get some random printer/Wintendo/Eagle combination to print correctly.  ;)

BTW thanks Pay_C, you are on my brainwave (my apologies! ;) )

Best Regards

SmashTV

People on this forum are from so many diferent countries, and tone shouldn`t ever be considered. Contents should be what matters. Not?

To me, smash seams more frustrated about my wondering than I projected my frustration to him. :|

I am really sorry, my english is not perfect, but in same time far from provocative sounding to me.

You, english speaking people are just lucky by nature most of the world speaks english, and you simple get used to it wherever you go and take it for granted . You are probably learning French in schools... how meny of you can properly speak french?

I`m out...

Peace

People on this forum are from so many diferent countries, and tone shouldn`t ever be considered. Contents should be what matters. Not?

Correct, but you have to realize that contents can set the tone of a statement.

To me, smash seams more frustrated about my wondering than I projected my frustration to him. :|
Not more frustrated by your wondering, more frustrated by the situation as I described it.  I want to link the .brd files from my pages and the wiki like the old days, but I learned the hard way why that is a bad idea.

I am really sorry, my english is not perfect, but in same time far from provocative sounding to me.
No worries then, I'll keep in mind that you were not trying to provoke and move on.  :) 

Minor scrapes are bound to happen, no matter what languages are involved, any time we try to squish thoughts into plain text.

You, english speaking people are just lucky by nature most of the world speaks english, and you simple get used to it wherever you go and take it for granted . You are probably learning French in schools... how meny of you can properly speak french?
I'll remember that the next time the expensive translation service I use goes on holiday and I have to speak poor/broken Chinese to the guys at the fab.....They think it's funny, and like to gather the managers and put me on speaker phone for entertainment.  ;)

Time for me to find a way to ship to Serbia (not possible in the past due to insurance, but might be workable now) but not until I'm done with Stryd's boards.  ;D

Best Regards

SmashTV

I thought that it might be unintentional, that's why I mentioned it Smiley We've done this before remember? Smiley

Sure stryd, how can I forget it  ;)  Unintentionally is same as misunderstanding. That is why I try to explain what I exactly meant.

No worries then, I'll keep in mind that you were not trying to provoke and move on.  Smiley

I`m glad to hear that.

I'll remember that the next time the expensive translation service I use goes on holiday and I have to speak poor/broken Chinese to the guys at the fab....Wink

Smash, you can always switch to some non chinese factory, but china is much cheaper. You can`t have everything. :)