MIDIbox of the Week (MIDIbox Orb by Wisefire)

Wisefire

if im not in the right part of the forum.. dont hesitate to move the topic.. thnx..

it allready became the midibox orb didnt it.

surprise surprise..

i just finished my Midibox Orb. its made from an metal ikea saladbowl. it has 8 potmeters, 4 on off buttons, one on off on button and 8 leds.

the bottom is 12mm MDPE from pig troughs. dont worry i cleaned it off first.. its the same material that was on my Robotwars robot.

i spraypainted the bowl metallic blue.

now for the photos..

messtop.jpgmess1.jpg

What a Spiderwebbing.. as for earlier pics, i kinda lost them.. sorry.. you arent missing anything.. well maybe the ikea logo..

might as well show you some more pics of the inners..

messside.jpgpwetty-lights.jpg

doesnt it look cool like this?                                      Nah, this looks way cooler..

backview.jpgfinished.jpg

A back view.. you can see the midi ports.. the power input.. and the on off button..

Thats it for now..

Next up will be the C64 Reprise.. i want to put in some diodes so i dont have ghosting on my keys..

also i wouldnt mind getting nominated for Mbox of the week :D cuz actual construction time was about a week. :P

if im not in the right part of the forum.. ...Mbox of the week :D

There it is man. This is cool, very original. I can move this to the midibox of the week forum if you like, or we can leave it here and you can post a link there, whatever you want.

If you'd like to keep it here you should document it in http://www.midibox.org/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=user_projects first though :)

Hey, if you sit it on that can then you've got yourself a magic mushroom hehehehe

That looks interesting, and idea for mushroom is even cooler especially if you are into psychedelic trance, but in that case you need to add some heavy base to support it.

And don`t forget to put the labels on ...stryd loves them  ;D

Good work!

Ah damn!!! Sorry AC I deleted your post by accident!! I'm clearly not accustomed to having a "Remove" button next to the reply button :-[

Nice one, Wisefire. It reminded me a bit on this one, have you seen that?

I wonder if I missed something about the labels?  Smiley

I love spheric designs very much, but I asked myself indeed how you'd find the right knob to turn... but apparently, when there are mushrooms involved it may be part of the concept to be surprised by the changement of sound, right? Grin Grin

If you don't mind, I'd move it, too, to the midibox of the week section, 'cause apparently it's running an (unmodified) mb64e, right?

Cheers,

Michael

Yeh the labels thing is everyone (including myself) taking the mickey out of my all-too-often-used comment that "it needs labels" hehehehe

There it is man. This is cool, very original.

Thnx :D

I can move this to the midibox of the week forum if you like, or we can leave it here and you can post a link there, whatever you want.

If you'd like to keep it here you should document it in http://www.midibox.org/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=user_projects first though :)

i think TK should decide if im worthy enough to be midiboxoftheweeked, as for documenting it in wiki|userprojects, i dont know, its not as if i did anything revolutionary.. just built a custom interface thats imho nice looking.. ok, i modified the programming a bit aswell, but only cuz one of the buttons isnt a normally on button like the rest is..

so basically its just the ain64_din128_dout128 V2.0  example C program.. i dont mind explaining how i build it.. but i cant add anything, that isnt already documented by TK. if there is a better place for this (maybe midibox HUIs forum) go ahead and move it there.

Hey, if you sit it on that can then you've got yourself a magic mushroom hehehehe

magicmushroom.jpg

there ya go :D

As for labels.. 4 reasons,

1. dont need them.. its not easy to get lost when there are only 8 pots and 5 buttons.

2. hard to put on a round surface. unless i use a marker pen.

3. decreases the aesthetic value.

4. its a midicontroller the knobs arent going to do/be one thing.. that'll vary.

the main programming for this, is going to be in MAX/MSP that is where the sounds will come from.

i think TK should decide if im worthy enough to be midiboxoftheweeked,

yeh well TK isn't here so while the cat's away, the mice shall play hahahaha ;D

Edit: That was definitely a joke, please move this around as necessary.

as for documenting it in wiki|userprojects, i dont know, its not as if i did anything revolutionary..

Hmm It's an interesting subject... What defines a user project exactly? I mean the vX is based on the clockbox, but only retains like two functions from the original... Moogah's DrumSEQ is going to be a cutdown MBSeq...

Hmm It's an interesting subject... What defines a user project exactly?

A user project is a new application that has some other purpose than one of the existing projects. Because a different application requires different controls' date=' it will be really different in the end.

But anyhow, I belive this controller would fit perfectly in the midibox of the week section and I can't see no reason why it shouldn't be there: it's a very nice interface and I believe it's perfectly okay for TK if we move it [s']there here...

it's really nice to see how everyone of us fresh moderators are freaking out once there's a real moderation job to do ;D

Edit: hehe, stryd: you're a good moderator ;D

Lovely job Wisefire.

Fuinnily enough, I used some of the big Ikea bowls for a project last year: light reflectors for a Fortuny style bounce light. I was going to write to Mr Ike or whatever he's called and demand they made bigger ones with a more elliptical profile.....

They were for my friend the photographer and of course due to that particular form of Murphy's law, we never got a picture of them.....

Looks well cool - a nice job, and definitely deserves it's 'Box of the week' , or even 'hemisphere of the week'.

Mike