Making of Endorphin (photo blog)

Sasha

Sorry! I had read the SID 'C' LED driver drawing wrongly, and thought the outputs were current sink. not source.

The best idea I can come up with is to use an 8 way darlington High Side driver like UDN2981, with a variable voltage drive, that way you have 5V logic in, but anything up to 50V source out. The UDN's are nicely laid out with all connections 'in line', so are easy to fit.

I've used them, and the UDN2000 series low side drivers, for LED matrix displays before, and they work well.

Mike

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I bought one small 30x30mm fan for testing. It fits perfectly on 2 opposite places of face panel. But, I`m not sure can I feel comfortable with noise of those 2 small fans, even at lower throttle.  :-\ I think I`ll buy one 40x40mm fans to check if it`s better to have one bigger than two small buzzers.. ::)  ..must decide before I order some panels. 

ventilator.jpg

Hey, the Endorphin-at-night shot looks very nice :D

About the heat inside the case, isn't it possible to use heatsinks and perforate the case close to the heatsinks? Like most amplifiers do. That way you wouldn't have to use fans. On the other hand, I'm not sure if that will work okay in such a small housing as this one.

Also, have you checked for Papst fans? They're really quiet (about 15-18dBA), and you have them in 5V or 12V versions and in 25 and 40 mm (what I could find, they might as well offer 30mm ones).

I need 24LC256 x 7 to complete it.

Get the bigger 24LC512. About the same price, twice the memory, and with patches being twice the size in V2, you'll still have 128 patches per chip.

If you just want 24LC256, I have plenty unused ones here ;D

Get the bigger 24LC512

I understood it is not supported by any application yet, and I didn`t wanted to buy it and wait for new application release to use it.

Quoting TK:

Note that the 24LC256 can also be replaced by a 24LC512. Although no application supports this 64k EEPROM yet
So, is this memory not supported at all, or not supported fully? This sounds little confusing to me.

If you just want 24LC256, I have plenty unused ones here

Gladly, but shipping from Australia would probably cost more than 7 x 24L256.  Thanks anyway!

That's old doco... It is definiately supported in MB-SID v1 (you can use 4x 24LC512 for 8 banks of 128 patches) and in MB-SID v2 (8x 24LC512 for 8 banks of 128 patches) and I thought the MB-SEQ v3 uses it too... it's compatible with the 24LC256, so only half would get used by apps that only require (and know about) a 24LC256.

Gladly, but shipping from Australia would probably cost more than 7 x 24L256.  Thanks anyway!

I've been shipping lots of SIDs lately, it would only cost you 1 or 2 Euro. I only offer because I've got heaps that need a good home... you did understand I'm giving them away, right?  ;D

That's old doco... It is definiately supported in MB-SID v1 (you can use 4x 24LC512 for 8 banks of 128 patches) and in MB-SID v2 (8x 24LC512 for 8 banks of 128 patches) and I thought the MB-SEQ v3 uses it too... it's compatible with the 24LC256, so only half would get used by apps that only require (and know about) a 24LC256.

That is nice to hear. Ill try to find some of 24LC512 then. :)

I've been shipping lots of SIDs lately, it would only cost you 1 or 2 Euro. I only offer because I've got heaps that need a good home... you did understand I'm giving them away, right?

Thanks Wilba, My home is always open for chip donors but, ...why don`t you need them? ...there is a lot of MB projects you can use them for. Or you have got more than I think  :)

Anyway, I`ve got only option to pay you using bank wire transfer (no pay-pall, sorry) so bank transfer fee cost more than those few dollars that I want to send you for shipping, so I`m still not sure can we do it easily. :-\ Anyway, thanks a lot for your offer ...appreciate it! ;)

dj3nk: I think he can buy them easily enough.

Sasha: I don't have hundreds, just too many. I have lots of spare chips lying around not being used. Get the 24LC512 if you can, much better for MB-SID V2 anyway (and get some PIC18F4685 you need for V2 also). If you can't get them, PM me and I'll donate some chips to you.

I am getting some SIDs from Wilba. So he just can add the 24lc's to my package. So you would only have to pay Germany-France.

And what about the c16 you wanted to have ? I could just send it with if you want.

greetz

add:

sry Wilba. we just wrote the same time but youre surely right in what you say. ^^.

Get the 24LC512 if you can, much better for MB-SID V2 anyway (and get some PIC18F4685 you need for V2 also). If you can't get them, PM me and I'll donate some chips to you.

I tried to find 24LC512 and there is no any in Serbia (Not France) I found company that has them but they only sell to companies not individuals. I`ll see can I find somebody to buy them for me. Also I cannot find PIC18F4685 here. There is some Microchip distributors but I need to check the min. quantities. But that not worries me now, I don`t expect SID V2 any time soon. I think TK said something at the end of this year. I see he is progressing nicely but still I don`t expect it soon. Maybe I`ll find a way to get it till then. Anyway, I will ask for help if I fail.

I am getting some SID`s from Wilba. So he just can add the 24lc's to my package. So you would only have to pay Germany-France.

And what about the c16 you wanted to have ? I could just send it with if you want.

Sorry dj3nk, you must mixed me with somebody. I don`t live in France and I was never interested in C16, but thanks for an offer anyway  ;)

I add 3 more 24LC256 yesterday and I`ll add 4 later. This is first time that I use more than one chip in bankstick and  I was surprised to hear bankstick sound played 4 times. Is it OK? Everything else worked normally... I`ve uploaded more patches to memory and load some patches to into SID to test it... no problem.

As I get it bankstick sound is played once for every chip, so for fully stuffed 8 chip BS sound will play 8 times at every startup...? That was kinda cute when I heard it first time (one 24LC256 attached) but listening that so many times at power on I find very annoying!

How is that startup sound made?

Can it be disabled/edited easily to be played only once, ...or something more discreet, like one beep?

Yes, eight "zzzzching"s every startup can be a little redundant. I think originally the idea was you inserted a BankStick into a port and it makes a sound like plugging in a USB drive or mouse  ;)  but when they're all hard-wired in, there's no need for it I guess.

Look for the call to SID_TUNE_Play1 in sid_bank.inc and delete it.

You could probably call SID_TUNE_Play1 just after the call to SID_SR_Init in main.asm (if you want a single startup sound).

And now about dimming LEDs with UDN2981...

I really like Mike`s Ideato dim LEDs using this chip and LM317, but it cost as more that whole parts for DINx4 so I really dont find it useful for dimming the LEDs. I think I`ll test some resistors to see which value suits me best.

My SIDs decided to remain silent when booting...  ;D Thanks Wilba! ...I just told them what you told me.  ;)

It took all my free time, including vacation, to build  Endorphin to this stage, but from now I will slow down. I hardly cannot imagine something better to do after work than make some noise with this knobless, faceless  monster. :) 

endorphin-bw.jpg

It`s not that I`m completely slowed down... I sanded down all casting marks from this PSU, applied few layers of primer and few layers of black mat paint. ...now it looks evil! Something tells me that I need to change the wall plug too...  :)

psu.jpg

Lucky you! I don`t like this gray cable at all, but I`m afraid to try to open this PSU because it looks sealed very hard  with melted plastic. Has anybody tried to open this type of PSU? I have few different ones... with screws, but this one really sucks and in same time it looks nicest with those ribs.

• 2 weeks later...

I finally found some time to cut another, corrected dummy front panel. The weather was awful for traveling to remote part of town but it payed off. This time all went perfect so I can order real, aluminum front panel and enter super final stage.  :)  Here is how it looks... much more evil with black cardboard. ;)

dummy-pannel2.jpg