Making of Endorphin (photo blog)

Sasha

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Grrrr!!! I assume no refund laws are in place there?

exactly

Maybe you can saw the 3mm off and glue it to the other side?

I did those slots in wood to avoid using screws because of aesthetic reasons so extending it  using glue would be worst than screws. :-\

How can you glue piece that is missing? Cutting disk eat few mm of material, and If you add another piece of wood it simply want fit to the rest of the wood texture. I really dont want to have vertical line where I joint those two pieces of wood.  It would be worst than leaving as it is. Only option I have now is to made new side panel from the piece that left and abort idea of making Endorphin a pair with Sequoia. I cannot make it anymore if I want to have uniform look. Anyway, thanks for suggestion.

There was something similar that happened to me.

I asked my uncle to cut the faderslots in my frontpanel.

I drilled the holes for the pots,buttons and the display before and I did it very carefully cause I didn't want to scratch my anodized aluminium panel.

But when I got the frontpanel back, I noticed that my uncle made some really bad scratches in the frontpanel. I was really angry, but on the otherside my uncle did it for free so I couldn't go to him and complain.

At the end I bought some blue self-adhesive foil and glued it over the panel. I doesn't look too bad in my eyes.

I know that Sasha the perfectionist would probably throw up when he'd see that  ;D ;D

why don't you just cut some wood away at every side except the shortest one (upper one in picture 3)?

Then you'll have an uniform look again.

It was first idea that came to my mind after i calmed down but visually whole synth looks very different if the sides arn`t going few millimeters over the edge. I am really hard in making compromises in design. :-\ I was already forced to made some compromises while building Endorphin because I didn`t planed this project 100%... I was enough of drawing board (Corel) and I couldn`t wait to start building it so some errors occurred.

I was so devastated few days because of what happened, but now I face it and give up original idea. I will Made new side for Endorphin from the piece of Mahagoy that I left for SEQ. I already disassembled almost finished sequencer because I wanted to have full V3 version with all extras. Yes, I`m probably crazy, but what can I do. Most important thing for me is that I am 100% satisfied with finished piece... which is not easy but once I made it I feel extremely proud and happy for a long time.  ;)

you said that mahagoni-wood is hard to get in serbia.

If you want me I can ask some cabinetmakers or ask some guys in a DIY-store if they've got some.

It shouldn't be that hard in germany. then I can send (and sell  ;D) it to you

If you are struggling to source some, i've got some really really old (in a good way!) mahogany I might be able to send your way if the dimensions are right. I can't remember exactly, but I think it's just under an inch thick, something like 20mm, and about 6" wide. It came from an old buildin, used to be a door jamb I think, but it's really rich and dark looking. You can't get wood like that any more!

Thank you both for an offers. I really do appreciate. I know SLP need to buy wood first in order to send it to me, and I know he lives in Germany. What about you Jaicen? ...no Location in profile.

Oh come on. planting a tree doesn't seem to be that hard.

I wonder what version of SID would be actual in the time that tree fully grown.  ;D

You can't get wood like that any more!

Why dont you people using those exotic woods for your gear if you can find it so easily. Don`t you like it?

I see latest post is on the 1st page now, like real blog. Thanks administrator.  ;)

hallo

everybody seems to be helping this project so here s my part:

i am a carpenter (ecologic, bio, etc.) and have acces to professional machines (no cnc) till the end of September, i am in Danmark, you ask, i do.

cheers

Simone

The wood I've got was cut down at least 40-50 years ago, when prime hardwoods were still abundant.

Stocks of really good mahogany, ash and rosewood started to dry up around the seventies, along with embargo's on exports. That's part of the reason that 70's guitars have such a bad rep for being heavy, toneless woods. (can you tell i'm really a luthier in disguise). What this means in practice, is that modern supplies of timber tend to be cut from younger trees, so is usually of a lower quality.

i'm located in the UK, I don't know if that's of any use to you. Shipping heavy woods could be expensive. But yeah, it's there if you need it. I think it would be a damn shame if all your work was to suffer through one incompetent carpenter!

Hey Jaicen, 40/50 old wood side panels sounds very nice to me.  :)

My friend should go to London soon and stay there for some time so maybe he could send it to his address. If you can send it to him it would be very nice of you. Is there something I can do for you?

Why dont you people using those exotic woods for your gear if you can find it so easily. Don`t you like it?

I did my first electronics properly in the 70's. I did enough "Ally panel and hardwood ends" stuff to last me forever. Nowadays I either go 'raw basic panel', or try for something more  timeless and neutral - though I did say I'm trying, not that I've had anything I'd call a success!

On the other hand, I really like the look you are aiming for with Endorphine - a great style.

I save the wood for my 'other world' projects, or for repairs. Some of my last Teak went to replace end cheeks on a classic integrated amplifier for a friend. though I have an extra help here in the shape of an antique restorer/cabinet maker. I showed him your picture, his comments were less printable than yours.

hallo

everybody seems to be helping this project so here s my part:

i am a carpenter (ecologic, bio, etc.) and have acces to professional machines (no cnc) till the end of September, i am in Danmark, you ask, i do.

cheers

Simone

Yes, it is nice to have support from you guys. Thank you all.

Regarding your offer Simone... It would be pretty expensive to send a piece of wood to a World tour. I think I`ll see if friend can bring me Mahagony from Jaicen. I`m not in a hurry because I need that mahagony to make sides for sequencer which needs to be Endorphins pair.

I have a piece of mahagony to make new side for Endorphin if everything goes OK this time.

I need to go to the laserman again and try to make new slots in it which can be tricky as last time both sides are made at same time which is crucial for alignment. If it fails I will need new to make both 2 sides again.

I feel sooo drained with this finalization... :(

I really need to buy one machine and I`ll fu** off all that so called carpenters experts which dont make difference between mm and cm. I overpaid their expertise so many times before. >:(

• 1 month later...

I really needed to left aside this project for some time because of the bad carma it has, and the lack of money. Working on other things like LED rings was terrible as well because of the different type of LEDs guys to sold me by "mistake" and I super-glued to the lasercut holder.  >:( http://www.midibox.org/forum/index.php?topic=9602.msg69205#msg69205

So naturally, I got back to the Endorphin...

I cut another piece of woods borrowed from sequencer in order to have at least this project done. Now I did job by myself, and I will surely did as much as possible by myself in the future, even I need to buy special tool that I`m going to use rarely. It really pays off as my head wont hurt. I trust only mine, and my laserman`s work. ;)

I forget to mention... for cutting the woods I used guided hand saw that is used for angular cutting, like picture frames, so result was very nice and precise.

Here are two pictures. First one is sides before coating and second pic is coated with some seed oil (dont know English word). I didn`t wanted to use any kind of laqueer. Oil made Mahagony little darker, and increased woods texture. It penetrate deep into wood, protects it and keeps it`s natural look and feel.

IMG_1008_thumb.jpg

IMG_1014_thumb.jpg

1433_IMG_1008_jpgbfc78a8031cfc750ae610c7

1435_IMG_1014_jpg77bb5d080f9152973489040

Wow I didn't Realise you superglued the LEDs in... Have you tried acetone to dissolve the glue?

Anyway... Oiled Mahogany. Pure class. Something else; it also ages better, because little nicks and scratches are just natural, not a scratch in a perfect glassy surface. Very nice.

Wow I didn't Realise you superglued the LEDs in... Have you tried acetone to dissolve the glue?

Superglue is good, old TK`s recipe, I didn`t wanted to invent a wheel.  ;)

I didn`t try to use acetne. I doubt it would help as superglue penetrated all the way down and around the LED. It is glued really hard. I could try when I back at home anyway. Thanks for a suggestion.

Anyway... Oiled Mahogany. Pure class. Something else; it also ages better, because little nicks and scratches are just natural, not a scratch in a perfect glassy surface. Very nice.

Yes, I like it alot! :) Whole construction was forced all the time to fit into that 80mm wide pieces of wood, and it was pretty difficult, but I think it worth it. ;)

Simone, as you say linolie, that sounds pretty much as "laneno ulje" which means oil from lan in serbian, so I believe that is it.  :) It took some time to completely dry out. I put it at the sun for one afternoon to speed up evaporation as it tend to sweat a little bit even I dry it with cloth. Result is very nice at the end.