Newbie needing some help on what parts to order

Fall_X

I'm planning to build a MB64, so I ordered a kit from core kit from SmashTV, and some Rotary encoders and a midi socket.

I'm planning to also order :

- these buttons : http://www.altronics.com.au/index.asp?area=item&id=S1135 (with caps)

- this LCD : http://www.altronics.com.au/index.asp?area=item&id=Z7000A

- a couple of switches : http://www.altronics.com.au/index.asp?area=item&id=S1040

- a rocker switch for power : http://www.altronics.com.au/index.asp?area=item&id=S3210

- a couple of potentiometers : http://www.altronics.com.au/index.asp?area=item&id=R1906

Will these parts do? What else do I need to get to build something functional? Is there a list of things needed for a basic MB64?

Thanks!

Tactile buttons: Yeah

LCD: Yeah, you should perhaps take some LCD with backlight instead, so reading is a LOT easier (especially if its a little darker), it should cost nearly the same

Permanent switches: Yeah, you can, but it´s quite easy in MB64 to programm switches to a toggle function (that means you virtually change momentary switches to permanent ones). This way you´re a lot more flexible, think about it.

Power switch: Yeah, perfect, I also use these. ;)

Pots: Yeah. You could use more expensive ones (like ALPS) for a better tactile feeling (I have no idea, which manufacturer you linked there) but this is not neccesary anyways.

So: YUPP (to use another word) everything´s fine up to now with some minor comments. Ap to now there´s no list like you´re searching for, I think. But anyhow if you want to go sure, read the WIKI (there are a lot articles for newbies). This will help a LOT in ADVANCE!! So what I´m thinking you´re missing is a PSU (wallplug power supply e.g. with 9 Volts and 500 mA) and some case. But that should be it, then you´re fine. And to deillusion you: YOU WILL BE MISSING PARTS! That´s at least always happening to me. There´s nearly no chance to get everything you need in one order, not if you don´t plan extensively. Just be prepared for a second and a third order. ;)

GOOD LUCK & greetz!

Thanks for your help. I realize I still need the stuff for the case, but I'll worry about that later. I'll either build it in a flight case, or create a wooden case with a plexiglass top, I guess.

Could you find me a suitable PSU on that site? I'd like to order everything from one place, but I'm not getting any results when searching for PSU, and lots of things when looking for "power supply" - but I don't know what to pick.

Thanks!

Just try wallplug (supply) as a searching term - you know them, they´re just the stuff you load your handy with (or run your laptop or whatever). You should find them pretty easily and pretty fast. You´ll need a 7,5 or 9 Volts one (many are changeable in voltage) with at least 500 mA current (so you have a lot of headroom to play with).

I will not search that for you -> as you won´t learn anything then. ;)

Greetz!

mmmm, either you are being very lazy (tutt tutt), or you are going to have a hard time building your box due to a massive lack of knowledge...

I can assure you it's the second option. It's all very confusing for me, plus there's a language barrier (I'm not a native English speaker), and I want to make sure I buy the right parts.

I know I'll have a very hard time building my box, but I'm willing to learn. I know quite a bit about computer programming and software, but absolutely nothing about hardware...

Just try wallplug (supply) as a searching term
No results found... But I'm guessing this will do? http://www.altronics.com.au/index.asp?area=item&id=M8232

EDIT : on second thought, I'll probably be better off buying the power supply locally in a store somewhere, because some countries have different sockets and stuff. I may even have one lying around somewhere that fits the specifications.

I know I'll have a very hard time building my box, but I'm willing to learn. I know quite a bit about computer programming and software, but absolutely nothing about hardware...

I'm not trying to put you off, but I'm trying to hint that you need to do the work b4 ppl will help you out. It sounds like you are up for doing the work, so start searching the forums!!

Your english seems fine, so I don't think you'll have too much trouble.

The PSU at link you sent will PROBABLY work for your box, but then I haven't counted the amount of amps the leds etc in your box will pull, you should....

No matter how many LEDs you put in, that *monster* PSU will work. Long time before this thing gives up the 7805 on the core PCB (you´ll know about this part later) will give up, cause it only can go up to 1 Amp. So it´s kind of overpasted, but anyhow it will work. That with the local dealer is a good point, I would agree there.

btw: I´m not an english speaker, too. You'll learn a LOT english here with the time, believe me. ;) ;) ;)

Why ruin all the fun for yourself? You are being deprived of knowledge by "just getting the answer;" half of the fun is in the research. As for me, I am new here as well and it has totally driven me to insomnia. My mind is infinite with ideas. I can harldy wait to get started. :)

I just wanted to get the answers before I order anything, to make sure I get the right parts. I don't have too much money I can waste, this project will be quite expensive already.

I haven't ordered anything yet though (except for the core kit from smashtv), because I'm still planning, figuering out how many/what parts I'll need.

I'm going to try and find someone who has the tools and can borrow them to me for a while... And also someone who can help me out with getting started, because all this is way over my head. I can barely change a light bulb, lol. Well, I once built my own pc, but that's still a completely different ballpark.

Not sure if I should try making my own PCB's, or design and order them somewhere...