My first design concept for an MB64

Fall_X

This is still unfinished. The design might be a little weird, but it would be perfect (well, almost, still need to tweak some things) for what I plan to do with it. The large holes are either simple pushbuttons or toggle switches, the smaller holes are for pots/encoders. The big hole near the bottom-center is for a numeric keypad (not sure if I can use this?). The buttons next to this will be used as a navigation pad (for controlling my computer software), but I might opt for some joyswitch or whatever it's called.

The whole panel currently is 272x232mm.

So what do you guys think? I'm a bit worried that I put the buttons etc too close to eachother. Will this be an issue?

Thanks.

panel_thumb.gif

1185_panel_gif5671594b1373595540fe7da455

that won't work mate.

the buttons can be quite near each other - it's even better this way because you have to make only small connections to between them to connect everything in serial.

but the thing that bothers me are the encoders. you understand that you somehow have to turn the knobs right? the encoders this close together are completely not controlable. i have raised the space between the pots in my own controller to 3cm verticaland horizontal from each other and it is still verey fiddly to move a pot that is located in the center surrounded by other pots. i'm also not able to put label stickers above them which i did in previous controllers which were maybe bad looking, but very very helpful.

a numeric keypad can be used of course - but when you want to use it in the mios itself you'll have some extensive programming on front of you.

either way i recommend planning your box the other way round - first find some good parts that you will use (and that you can afford), then you buy a piece of vinyl or pvc or plexi, drill some holes and stuff every part so you can see if the distances between them are actually comfortable.

THEN you can start planning the board - not the other way round.

oh and it would be highly recommende that you post what this is actually being meant for. ableton? doubt that. ffor example what do you need that numerci pad for ??!!

Yeah, I realized that the pots/encoders would be too close to eachother right after posting this and already started redesigning. This box will be one huge monster filled with controllers. I'll have to be careful so it doesn't get struck by lightning - otherwise it might come alive! I'll post it as soon as it's more or less finished.

a numeric keypad can be used of course - but when you want to use it in the mios itself you'll have some extensive programming on front of you.
I don't really need it to be used in mios, I want each key to send a different midi message.

In fact, I don't think I'll need much mios programming at all. But I was wondering, how are encoders handled? Do they send a midi control message with a value from 0-127, or is it also possible to make it send, for instance midi note-on's depending on the speed and direction you're turning? Might be a stupid question, I don't know.

oh and it would be highly recommende that you post what this is actually being meant for. ableton? doubt that.
Well, ableton, yes and no. I want to write some custom software on my computer, which will interpret the incoming midi messages before sending it to ableton (and possibly other software or hardware as well in the future).

So the 12 buttons underneath the lcd screen would be used to trigger clips in ableton, with bank up/down buttons next to it.

You asked for it :) : My software will work roughly like this. You have a grid of patterns (vertical) and blocks (horizontal). There's always one pattern playing, but you can edit other patterns and then switch to it when you're ready. I can select patterns and blocks with the cursor buttons on my controller. A pattern is made up of blocks, and a block had a number of properties - such as length, scale root note (A, B, etc), scale type (minor, major, etc), etc, which can be controlled by the rotary buttons above the cursor pad, and by the keyboard buttons underneath it.

These properties will be used to feed a number of arpegiators, which are also controllable from the box. I'll have three instrument sections (one left, two right), each with a few controllers to control the synths, and some arpegiator settings.

The numpad will be used for entering ranges for the arps (for instance, if the current scale is A minor, pressing 1 will toggle wether A will be included in the selected notes, button 2 will select whether C will be used, and button 3 will select whether E will be used, and this for a number of octaves). But I'm still thinking about this - for instance, I will also need to define rhythm parts which indicate where accents go, and then I need to be able to select whether a certain arp can have non-chord notes on accents, and between them, etc. I want it to be as flexible as possible, so it doesn't always sound the same.

The idea is to have an improvisation box, where all synths automatically play in the same scales and follow the same chords. I'll be able to turn some knobs and push some buttons, and totally different melodies will come out. And I'll also be able to control the beats with the trigger buttons.

I can handle the programming part (it will take some time, but I've done tests that indicate this is doable). Now, building the box and making sure I've got all the tools I need while still being user-friendly, that's another matter.

I'll have to be careful so it doesn't get struck by lightning - otherwise it might come alive!

Hehehe you mean it might travel back in time ;) You only have to worry about it coming to life if you use a big, old fashioned, high-voltage lever power switch in your basement while a speech impaired hunchback watches you ;)

Edit: You may also need several large Van de Graaf generators driven by the DOUTs

i think your project and layout look  interesting its good to see someone making an unusual layout whats the point having a custom controller if you just make it the same as the commercial ones already available

thats good advice to get the actual encoders switches etc and have a look at the spacing its allways a little difficult to tell from a drawing at least it is for me

regards kris