PCB Layout Help?

stefstabilizer

Hi All,

Just got back to the UK and recovered from my Jet Lag and thought I'd take this moment to ask for some second opinions on my PCB layouts.

Never done them before so forgive any schoolboy errors!  Basically I'd love it if someone could make sure my LEDs in the switches are getting the electrickery in the right direction  ;D  and that the pots are laid out in the correct "star" fashion as recommended by TK..

???

The latter was an issue as my design is based on rows of three pots..  tricky to get laid out in the 8 per row fashion :-)

I've added notes to the PDF and there is a layout scheme of what goes on inside the illuminated buttons I've bought so hopefully there's enough info there.

You can get the PDF here and you can read some background etc on my blog here.

Hi,

having a quick look on your layout.

You can leave out the bridges for the ground connections (on the left half of your pdf) and also you won't need the ground connection on the dout. Just draw the common kathodes to the ground of the switches. It's ok to have only one ground from the board to the core as DIN and DOUT ground is also interconnected on the DIN / DOUT board to the core.

greets

DOC

Thanks for taking the time to look.  Much appreciated.

So,

If I get you right..  All the grounds on the DINs and DOUT PCBs can be joined up as they are connected to a common ground on the Core anyway?

Updated the PDF..  You can see it here

Forgot to mention that these are going to be separate PCBs BTW..  The AIN PCBs on the right are going to be mounted vertically.

Stef

Look ok - only one comment: unused digital inputs should not be connected to ground (in distance to analog inputs). The pull-ups on the DIN module will pull the "idle" level to 5V, and this is the level required to notify the firmware that the button is not pressed

Best Regards, Thorsten.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi All,

Thanks for the little tips..

I have updated my PCB plan again after chatting to my mate who is doing the actual etching as he suggested making the pads a bit bigger for the PCB mount switches and using square pads for the connectors I plan to use.

v3 Of My PCBs

Any comments / constructive criticism would be most welcome of course!

I'm planning to start soldering the core kit tonight..  Wish me luck!  ;)