Uber simple performance synth?

Jaicen

Ok, Maybe this is me asking for the world here, but I'm looking for something specific.

I want to build a super simple mono-synth based on a MIOS core. Bearing in mind, programming's not my thing (as Stryd will attest  ;D ), is there anybody here that would like to collaborate with me. My skills lie in DIY friendly PCB layouts and analogue electronics. I'm playing synth with a new band, and I need a good mono for simple synth lines and dirty bass. Basically, I need something like an SH101 without the pricetag ;) I've been looking at the AVRSynth but it's not quite what i'm looking for. I need lotsa sliders and stuff! :o

What I'd like, is a core that will output a pulse wave tone, preferably with PWM. No fancy waveshapes here, just square/pulse. Ideally, a dual oscillator and/or sub would be available too ;)

This needs feeding into an analogue filter board, and if possible envelope controlled via the core itself. A simple Attack/Release control would be adequate for my purposes, though ADSR would be nice.  I've seen a really good PIC based ADSR and LFO, so that could be a good place to start, but I have not the time or skill to achieve either. Control will preferably be via a DIN-based 2-octave keyboard scanner i'm sure i've seen around here somewhere, no MIDI necessary.

So, does this sound like i'm an arsehole wanting the moon on a stick??

Or would somebody be interested in helping me out? If I get it working, i'll happily build a complete synth for whoever can provide the necessary code.

programming's not my thing (as Stryd will attest  ;D )

I would say nothing of the sort! ;D

Basically, I need something like an SH101 without the pricetag

Dude, SID.

I need lotsa sliders and stuff!

We can strap sliders and stuff onto darn near anything... Worst case is you have an external controller (built into the same box so what's the difference).

What I'd like...

Why don't you build it analog (I know you got that part nailed) and do a MBCV mod for it?

Thanks for the vote of confidence Stryd!

I am planning to build a couple of MBSID's, not least of which will be 2x SID6581 and a 8xSID Wilbabeast. Unfortunately, I don't have time to work on that for the next few weeks, and i've got a couple of gigs coming up on October. I don't think i'll get anything finished ready for then though :(

With regards to doing it in analogue; obviously that would be the way to go, if not for the scarcity of things like tempco resistors that push the price up. I don't think I could build an SH09 clone for less than the £200-250 it costs to buy one. I'm looking to spend WAAAAY less than half that, especially with the Wilbabeast project in the works.

Analogue stuff is also prone to drifting, which is not what you want when you've got a gig to do! Another reason I'd avoid analogue is the sheer complexity, when you consider what is necessary to produce two VCO's and a sub-osc, compared to what can be produced by say a core. I'm not looking for pristine waveforms, digital aliasing and distortion are just dandy in my view ;) Incidentally, I was bidding on a Monowave kit, but the price got a little too much for me. Now that is the sort of thing that makes me weak at the knees  ::)

Hi,

You probably know about this already, but just in case you don't:

http://www.musicfromouterspace.com/analogsynth/SOUNDLABMINISYNTH/soundlab.html

Must admit that I haven't built a whole one but I did adapt some of the building blocks on to stripboard and they worked well for what they are. Not sure if it will replace a classic Roland but it's one of the most built DIY analogue synths that I've seen (BTW I can't remember if it uses obscure tempco's, not much time to research I'm afraid!).

Also Ray sells PCB's for it online, which would speed things up....

HTH

D

ps personally I don't need a synth, so I'm going to build another WSG :)

Funny you should mention this, because I actually have been looking into building one. The sound samples sound decent enough for what I need, and it's all on one PCB, which is even better. Plus, you can power them via a pair of batteries for ultimate portability.

I think one of those with a keyboard scanner will fit the bill quite nicely.

Actually, having just had a proper look at the site, I don't think that the Soundlab will be suitable for my needs. I want to be able to use it for heavy bass sounds and piercing leads, but it's only stable over around three octaves, which means that I could only use it over a limited range.

Add to that the fact that to build one will cost at least as much as an SH09, I think I might be better off just saving up and getting one of those. In the meantime I guess I'll just build an MBSID with partial control surface.

EDIT: Anybody got one of these: http://www.thomann.de/gb/mfb_synth_lite_ii.htm?partner_id=25293

Looks promising..

Actually, having just had a proper look at the site, I don't think that the Soundlab will be suitable for my needs. I want to be able to use it for heavy bass sounds and piercing leads, but it's only stable over around three octaves, which means that I could only use it over a limited range.

My understanding is that it's stable for about 3 octaves surrounding wherever you set the oscillator pitch to.

So it's good for bass or lead sounds, but you would need to re-tune the base pitch to change that.

Yeah I think that's correct.

I don't know if you've ever had to scale and tune a pair of VCO's (as in a Moog Prodigy), but it's a real ballache, certainly not something you could do live. I might still go for it, but I'd prefer something with nice stable digital oscillators for real reliability anyway. I really like the look of that MFB, i'm sure it would be possible with the MBHP, but alas... hehe