ALPS motorfader with lin and log tracks? SOURCE???

Roelli

Hi all.

Iam looking for one of those ALPS motofaders (RSAON11M9 or so) but

with one linear 100KB and one log 10KB Track. I know that these are available... but I don't know where to get them in smaller quantities... minimun order is 600.  :-[

Ideas?

Thanks!

Roelli.

That's not for a midibox, right?

Sounds like it might be for a "flying faders" automated mixing console.

The linear track is for voltage feedback to tell the automation where the fader is,

the log track is the actual fader trace for the channel strip.

Sounds like it might be for a "flying faders" automated mixing console.

The linear track is for voltage feedback to tell the automation where the fader is,

the log track is the actual fader trace for the channel strip.

Yeh exactly, but for a midibox you want 10k lin and 100k log, not the other way round...

Yeh exactly, but for a midibox you want 10k lin and 100k log, not the other way round...

That seemed odd to me as well. Putting a 10k pot across the outputs of your channel strip would be a pretty icky idea too, as it would tend to pull your output toward GND much more than a 100k would.

Maybe the 100k lin is for an exponential controlled VCA, and the 10k for automation which has hardware scaling (ie a 10k log fader)...

• 2 weeks later...

I actually doubt that you'll be able to do something yourself without knowing the basics.

Have a look in the wiki.

You don't measure a resistance in KB, but in (K)Ohms  ;)

@SLP

Good that you know everything.  ;)

I just wanted to know if anyone has a source for these faders... not if iam able to do something myselfs.

There is not info about faders with two taper in the wiki?

Regarding the pot value i mean 10KB and 10KA. Yes i don't mean KiloByte! But people who are experienced with electronics don't worry about the letters "KB" because they know what it means. And people who have even more experience also know that linear is A, log is B and in china it is vice versa. Peace please mr SLP.  ;D

@all

Yes its for a flying fader automation.

I ever wanted to make a midibox LC but these behringer boxes are that cheap that it don't makes sense to me these days.

But there are so many analog desks out there which can be modified with a flying fader automation. Iam sure if there is a way to do this easily there are more people interested than in the midibox stuff itselfs.

Iam thinking about two ways:

Buying a behringer BFC2000, replace the faders with a motorfader with two tapers, one for the audio Signal (10K log in mostly every desk I know).

The other idea is to make a VCA automation which can be controlled with MIDI. So you can just use the behringer box and put the VCA section to the mixing desk's input channel. This way you can record the fader positions with midi and replay them from any sequencer.

The first one seems to be the easiest solution... but because of the minium order quantity its not easy to do.

The second one needs a hole new circuit which can control the Control Voltage of the VCA with a Midi Signal. The THAT 2180 series (thatcorp.com) is used for this in many applications.

An 8 channel Midi to CV with seperate inputs/outputs for SELECT and MUTE buttons with LEDs came into my mind - but I can't find any schematics of the MB hardware? Maybe it can be easily done?