MB64seq LED question

der.warst

Hya,

Now that i've read the recent developpements on the MB64Seq, one question came to my mind. When Thosten stated the Interface features to be static i got a little afraid my interface design won't work the way i want it to work because i used 4 extra LEDs on the "Mute Track"- Buttons to indicate if a Track is on or off. Is it still possible to implement that function or do i have to wait for a PIC18f...- Firmware? Any help appreciated.

Thanks,

Simolch der Warst

I am really not sure about how the LEDs are set up compared to the new chip, but I believe it will be possible. It should be just a matter of latching the Digital output for every momentary push. I hardly believe that the MBHP is unable to do so, but if so it should be fairly easy to make a latch circuit to do what you want.

No Fears, DIY is always a possibility.

-Sephult ;)

Hi Simolch,

you are right, it makes sense to add 4 LEDs for the track mute function.

The firmware already drives 32 LEDs (-> 4 shift registers), but only the first 16 are currently used. It wouldn't be a problem for me to add even more functions to the spare DOUTs - any suggestions before I change the firmware?

Best Regards, Thorsten.

P.S.: 32 LEDs are maximum, the PIC16F based sequencer will not support 64 LEDs due to memory limitations.

Now that I'm thinking of the current track indicators LEDs...

Currently there are some digi INs with more or less the same function

DIN/J3/D4  (Start /stop)

DIN/J9/D5 (restart)

DIN/J9/D7 (stop)

http://www.ucapps.de/mbhp/mbhp_dinx4_mb64seq.pdf

perhaps one of those on J9 could be used together with these LEDs to form a 'track select' function of some kind.

If I'm not mistaken, currently a track is selected by tweaking a knob or digging into the menu.

Layer select buttons are already present.

But with a dedicated track select button, you could use the 'soft takeover' button to display the track contents without having to turn (& alter) a knob.

BTW I do like the start/stop combined in one button like the J3/D4.

-just an idea-

just thought about it again... maybe...

shift+trackmute= track select ?

Best wishes

DriftZ

Hi DriftZ,

the possibility to select the track directly is a very good idea! I would prefer a toggle function (1->2->3->4->1) which works faster in this case :)

It should replace the stop function.

Best Regards, Thorsten.

V101 can now be found in the MIDIbox64seq download section.

(I've implemented a shift button for the mute function like suggested by DriftZ, because the handling is more ergonomic :-))

New wiring diagrams:

http://www.ucapps.de/mbhp/mbhp_doutx4_mb64seq.pdf

http://www.ucapps.de/mbhp/mbhp_dinx4_mb64seq.pdf

Have fun! :)

Best Regards, Thorsten.

Hi DriftZ,

did you also do something with the 'autosave' thing

no --- out of memory --- it was already very hard to include these minor features into the firmware, I had to optimize old routines again and again to get just 4 or 5 free bytes for a new button function. Sometimes this makes fun, mostly not ;-)

Please check if the new release is already working without crashes.

Best Regards, Thorsten.

Burned v101 to my 1st box, Seems to work just fine here, the "4step note-overview" is nice too.  Also noticed you have swapped the shift(shortcut) button, good thing I haven't soldered my 2nd box's buttons yet :) ; direct track-select & shift-tracksel=mute is the other way round then I was thinking of tho :) (I would have kept the direct mute & chosen for shift-select way, but its a matter of personal taste I suppose)

But again, great work TK !!

did you also do something with the 'autosave' thing  

no --- out of memory --

Not a big prob, the switch solution should work just fine  :)