About that MIOS to ISA bridge...

Guest Flownezz

Guest Flownezz

Just wondering if ther is any new news on the MIOS to ISA front as i was digging through some old boxes and found my old Turtle Beach Pinnacle sound card.   For those who are unfamiliar with this beast, it has an on board MASS synth engine built in (the exact same as in the Kursweil 2000) and has expandable sound font memory.  Got me to thinking...

Hi Flownezz,

currently I've much less time for the MIDIbox stuff than expected, therefore most of my running projects are stalled, and the ISA bridge is something for the time after these projects have been completed ;-)

Best Regards, Thorsten.

Guest cjlargear

??? So when the bridge will be built, we will be able to control soundcards using an MBNG running only MIOS or we'll have to build an application?

This soundcard sounds like a very good chance to create a simple, cheap and, easy to built MIDI studio in addition with the MIOS sequencer.

Imagine it a whole MIDI studio using only (or almost only) the MIOS platform and those sweet little PICs  ;D

Another question .... TK what applications could be realised with MIOS. Could someone built a MIOS synth or fx processor.I know it might sound foolish but I'm really new into this and I'd like to know what could I built with assembly so I should start learning asssembly. Any helping links other than microchip or piclist  ???

Sorry for the size of the post, and for "being out of the subject".

TK you are the greatest. May you always be well so you can offer us more and more to praise you  ;D

Hi Cjlargear,

the intention was to access the Yamaha OPL3 soundchip without desoldering it from a soundcard (as this is a SMD chip, there is a high danger that it will be destroyed in this way). Using the wave audio capabilities of a soundcard is not planned, because it would require a lot of additional hardware (external memories, etc.) and would increase the effort a lot, especially because of all the quirks which are necesary for different cards - see http://www.alsa-project.org to get informed about the complexity for such a driver software. The PIC is no Mini-PC ;-)

From the MIOS intro page:

Now some words to the most interesting part: which applications can be realized with MIOS. In respect to the limitations of the sweet little PIC it should be clear that it isn't possible to implement a workstation with a splendidly constructed graphical user interface, support for audio samples, video processing, voice recognition or similar memory eating programs. The strengths of a PIC microcontroller are microsecond accurate IO interactions and realtime processing. Here a few examples, some of them have already been implemented (see the MIOS Download page

e of them have already been implemented (see the MIOS Download page:

* generic MIDI control device with pots/faders/buttons/motorfaders/encoders/leds/led-rings

* MIDI IO processing device

* emulation of existing controllers (for instance Logic Control or Steinberg Houston)

* sequencers

* synthesizers

* ...add your whishes here...

Of course, MIOS allows also to manage other jobs outside the world of MIDI, here some inspirations:

* Robotics

* Light control

* HiFi equipment control

* Game computer

* Kid's computer

* Handheld

* ...add your whishes here...

Best Regards, Thorsten.

Guest cjlargear

Thanks both for the quick replies.I guess what I meant was that we can control(as I saw on a post) an FM chip, a SID chip, a soundcard with MASS synth engine, an "analogue sampler" ???  and who knows what else  ;D

Keep up the good work.

One question only.If you claim tha a MIOS can be buitl then what about its audio out,how can this be done?I mean you have to built an audio output too.Am I right?

Anyway,time will answer all these question lke a good doctor...

An Audio out is not really usefull, as high sample frequencies can only be achieved with DSPs or high-performance CPUs which are doing the synthesis and nothing else (this would also mean a multi-chip solution). The use of an IC which already provides the required oscillator and filter functions is much simpler and the results are better. For "virtual" oscillators, filters, etc. - or for wavetable synthesis, just use your computer. A lot of free software is available on the net which goes into this direction, why should I reinvent the wheel? ;-)

Best Regards, Thorsten.