Should I build a big midi controller?

rossmalone

Hi everyone!

I am in my final year at university, where I am studying music technology.

For my major project I am considering making a midi box, with lots of variable pots.

I want it to control a max msp sequencer i am also making.

The dead line is may,

i have a small knowledge of electronics and am pretty patient but i want to know if this is possible to do in the timeframe, I have never attempted something like this before.

If any one has any advice on this, please get in touch, i'm looking for any help I can get :)

Does any one know any good tutorials to follow on creating such a project?

Thanks in advance!

Ross

If you're using standard applications e.g. MidiBox 128 with jsut encoders and switches and build the whole thing on e.g. SmashTVs kits and there are no design specific decisions to make (like an intuitive placement of the knobs and buttons).

I don't see a problem. Just do all the logics in Max.

Greets, Roger

It's not just electronics. You need to get an enclosure of some kind. You'll need an array of tools for cutting round and square holes.

If you're not good with metal/wood/plastic trades, that's another skill you'll need to learn.

CAD skills are also helpful for designing panel layouts. Very helpful when it comes to drilling time.

If you've got more than 6 hours a day to work on it, you'll probably be alright, but doing this in precious spare time will likely leave you short. I wouldn't build it too big either.

See the wiki for some soldering guides and other briefs (basics section).

First step is to read read read

In some ways I have to agree with David, it is very time conusuming, and easy to make un-fixable mistakes.

but it's a music tech course, and you can't get much more tech than building your own custom midi controller. It would be kind of cool (in a midi geek kind of way ;D).

I'd put it past your coordinator first, if they are ok with it - try to set a grade scale given the complexity of the project. So if you build it, it looks like crap, and only half of it works, you still get a reasonable mark.