Need dimensions of original C64 mainboard, Rev. A

lucem

Hi there,

I'm designing a MidiBox SID v2 these days, and I plan to fit it into the original C64 "breadbasket" chassis.

I do have the upper half of the chassis, but I'm missing the original PCB and the lower half,

they must have got lost over time...  it's been a while since I disassembled my old C64 to

get the SID (which luckily I still have).

As I'm currently waiting for a replacement from ebay, but don't want my work interrupted, I'd be glad if

someone could supply me the the original Rev. A board dimensions and mounting hole placements,

if possible.

First of all ... hi to the forum.

I don't understand why you don't wait until wilbas 6582 is in smashs stock. you would only have to glue some pcb holders to the chassis. Then i see you are new here.... are you so familiar with pcb's that you can make such a big layout ?

Why do you think it's better for you ? I don't suppose anybody who is not VERY familiar with electronics, pcbs and all the stuff can make such a big project running perfectly at once.

Just if you hadnt read it! ITS NOT ALLOWED TO SELL MIDIBOXES !!!

I just say this because I dont know any reason why you want to start in that way. Why dont you take the ready pcbs you can get? In a C64case nobody will see whats inside. But when lots of people should see this "one big" pcb for selling it, ..... see above.

Surely i can be totally wrong, but I really wonder why you start like this.

greeetz

Whoa, what a reaction...

I don't want to wait for Wilbas 6582, just because I don't have too much fun using pre-made stuff, but rather enjoy the creation of things itself.

I don't believe my design to be "better" in any way, for that matter, but that doesn't mean its worse.

I like the idea of having the thing fit into the C64 chassis, an that means in a way that it looks just right and professional,

not so DIY-like (I guess I share that with Wilba).

And, btw, I like SMDs, and my design is based on those parts (actually, there are of course some similarities with the MB-6582,

and maybe I'll build one of those too, later, as I like the look of the thing a lot, but not now).

I don't intend to sell MidiBoxes (just for that matter, where the hell did you get that idea???)

For my background:

I'm a computer science student with professional training in electronics (did 3 years before begin of studies).

I have more than 5 years of experience designing PCBs and circuits in general, from analog to digital.

Right now, I'm expanding my knowledge of programmable logic devices to FPGAs, microcontrollers just don't suffice

some of my needs anymore.

As I already told "I can be totally wrong". Now I think/know I am wrong ^^. There are not much people out there which can handle all such things when they come here. But as a computer science student you'll surely have some knowledge already ;) Most people here aren't heavy electronics.

I really didn't ever want to get in any offence against you. Even I am very happy, that people join the forum who perhaps could help US midiboxers instead of the other way because of their knowledge. ;) I hope you know what I mean. And pleeeeeaassssee share that layout with the community here when you have it ready.

Why I wrote that about selling boxes:

We had a little $%§!§"! here which used somebodys layout for his midiboxes and is selling them on ebay. Somebody saw that layout offered on ebay in a working mb sid. So it COULD (!!) be, that anybody wants to to the same, just that he uses selfmade pcb's which cant be directly seen as a midibox. But when I think about it, it wouldn't be a good idea to ask here for any dimensions ^^.

nils: Nobody is allowed to sell midiboxes without tk's permission. It's not like offering several pcb's in our forums fleamarket.

greetz

Well, I was jsut hoping that maybe someone has still one lying around and could quickly measure it.

If that's not the case, I'll have my replacement in a few days...

[edit]

Oh, and of course I can share my layouts when they're ready...

Would be a waste of effort if I didn't.

Oh, and I don't take that personally, I'm used to the problems which can arise,

especially with newbies, you never know who's coming in, so that's ok with me.

But, please be assured, I may be a newb in the sense of creating my first box,

but not in the general means, and as I've been following the midibox project

silently for about a year now, I guess it's doable.

nils: Nobody is allowed to sell midiboxes without tk's permission. It's not like offering several pcb's in our forums fleamarket.

Hmm, yeah it's probably possible to read my post like that Anyways, what I meant was: "What the hell gave you the idea lucem has any intent of selling Midiboxes?" His question was completely innocent if you ask me.