IIEGO: MBLC+MB64E (in a well organized thread)

cimo

So here i am:

this project started a couple of years ago, had a first stage as you can see here:

http://www.io-sound.org/MIDI_devices/MIDI_devices.html

then moved on and kept me busy all this last summer long with learning what LC is, how to draw in a vectorial program, how to match that with Eagle s PCBs, etc etc. It was fun!

THIS PROJECT WOULD NOT BE POSSIBLE WITHOUT THE HELP OF A BUNCH OF MIDIBOXers OUT THERE: YOU KNOW WHO YOU ARE !

THANKS THORSTEN, YOUR WORK AND DEDICATION HERE IS LIKE A SUNNY ISLAND IN THE MIDDLE OF A STORMY ELECTRONIC OCEAN! RESPECT!

That was the due blablablaing.This is the actual state:(see 1st picture)

It s an "hybrid" MBLC+MB64E, they will be connected to a MidiSport 2x2 (internally) and ATM it is planned to be connected only via USB.

Joysticks (with pushbuttons), 4x4 pot matrix, X-fader and the first row of encoders are connected to the MB64E.

The 2 GLCDs (128x64), the second row of encoders, 8x2 and 5x2 SparkFun rubber buttons (still missing in the picture), 4 faders (no motorfaders) , navigation switches and teh jog wheel are connected to the MBLC.

All the control surface PCBs have been etched by myself while the COREs, DINs etc come directly from Smashtv s shop, that is offering (if you don t know that already) very high quality stuff for a bargain price.

All the Control Surface modules will be attached to the upper side of the blue acrylic panel, the COREs,DINs,MidiSport, etc. will be connected in the bottom side of the same panel, i ve placed hole so that the pin headers of the CS PCBs can be reached from the bottom side (see 2nd picture).

The balck panel is the front panel (powder coated alu) and the white panel is meant to reinforce the front panel and carry the 5 M5 screws that are connecting the middle(white)/front(black) panels to the blue panel.Got it?

Casing will be a custom made flight case (spare parts from Adam Hall), it s going tobe a bit heavy but that s what i wanted.

There are still a few things i need to fix (especially in the code) but i ll take that later onand i will keep this thread uptodate with pictures and infos.

Now back to work!

Simone

P1030424_thumb.JPG

P1030426_thumb.JPG

P1030424.JPG

P1030426.JPG

.. i ve spent the ast day deciding how big the gap between the front panel and the mounting panel will be and finding out the proper screws.I ve also completed the 8x2 SF buttons PCB.GLCD windows are inserted as well(see picture1)

I was not sure about how to mount the buttons PCB cause i use to hit hard so it could be a weak point.So i ended up cutting off a piece of my mouse pad and using it as a spacer and a cushion for the PCB (see picture2)

P1030427_thumb.JPG

P1030429_thumb.JPG

P1030427.JPG

P1030429.JPG

sasa you wise man! i remember somewhere you where saying that you were not satisfied with conrad s jjog wheel and laser cut a new one! The issue apart from the jog wheel is that the shaft of the encoder can move of a certain angle, so i will look for a different encoder but i ll take that later on.The jog wheel color mathces perfectly with the panel though! I can  t say the same wiht the navigation switch.

I am currently planning the position of COREs and other modules on the backside.

simone

Nice. Tell me, are those encoder shafts of longer series? As they are metal I don`t believe you have cutting in mind. :-\ How much clearance you have left from the surface of panel to the bottom of knob? If you told me, I could cut you one more small sub-panel just for holding the encoders so they can go 3-4mm further behind. I did that for my Endorphin. It was good and easy solution at the end and gave more sturdiness to the construction.

.. give me a proxxon and i will lift the world ! sasa i am not afraid of cutting those shafts, but  since all the SC modules are independently attached to the mid panel i can tweak all the heights for a perfect fit.The encoders modules needs to be lowered of about 1mm to get the knobs to touch the front panel when they are actuated (the switch).

Any thoughts about the wobbling jog wheel? any special encoder? any hardware trick?

I took this picture without the front panel but with the transparent subpanel, dig that.

P1030436_thumb.JPG

P1030436.JPG

Any thoughts about the wobbling jog wheel? any special encoder? any hardware trick?

On my BOSS GT3 theres a piece of plastic mounted to the back of the panel which holds the encoder in place (see attachment). Works really well.

jog_thumb.png

2024_jog_pnga80d23a73f981ba469a87ea0ff51

sasa i am not afraid of cutting those shafts

I know you don`t afraid, but still, don`t advise it as it is very boring...cutting, measuring, trimming, filing, edges... :P

but  since all the SC modules are independently attached to the mid panel i can tweak all the heights for a perfect fit.

Great, that is the reason I always use multiple sub panels.

On my BOSS GT3 theres a piece of plastic mounted to the back of the panel which hold the encoder in place (see attachment). Works really well.

I think Cimo have problem with encoder knob, not construction. Construction is sturdy enough as I know. About wobbling you cannot do much. Few Albs jog knobs that I tried with regular encoder wobbles. The best is to use big Alps 10 step jog encoder with Albs knob. It is pretty good... smoother and much less force it take to turn, so much less pressure is applied so no wobble (almost).

I hate wobbling myself, so I decided to make optical encoder for jog for upcoming project. It really pays off to put some effort in making it as it is probably most fragile part in every design. I don`t say it will broke, but it become more and more wobbly after extensive usage. HDD spinner motor is nice and sturdy platform for DIY optical jog. It is not so difficult to make it. If you can`t find a way to make coded disk It is still good idea to use motor for gluing the jog knob on top and attaching the encoder with some elastic attachment at the bottom. That is what I did on Junkbox. It is really indestructible as it transfer just torque onto encoder and not a side force. Hope you understand what I`m trying to say.

sasa8.jpg

Quote from: cimo on Yesterday at 21:26

On my BOSS GT3 theres a piece of plastic mounted to the back of the panel which holds the encoder in place (see attachment). Works really well.

something like.. this?: :)

P1030450_thumb.JPG

P1030450.JPG

I`m having problem match colours and look of different manufacturers myself. Some making nice pointerless knobs like Albs but dont make decent looking pointer knobs. I believe he put what he got.

Are those corner protectors on picture for this controller Cimo?

i have 15 knobs of 4 different colors but so i am waiting to get some extra ones in the next future..

yes the corners are for the box, i am planning a full flight case with lid although i still have a couple of doubts about the construction..

it was easier than i thought adapting the rean knobs to the panasonic pots.Btw sasa those are the pots you were asking info about some time ago, i can t say anything but that they are cheap, very small and seems to be ok atm for a midibox project.

I used a 6mm dia. tool on my proxxon to get rid of those ... errr.. those little tiny guides you can see inside the knobs so that now they will fit perfectly the panasonic pots.

simone

did you already test those sparkfun button with your pcb ?

Controller looks very gooood Cheesy

greet

well i haven t tried the buttons with my latest pcbs but they worked ok with the first PCB i etched so i am looking good to it.

About the mechanic construction for the SF buttons the 2 front panels (1,5+3mm) together with a few screws are enough, also for the "lateral" movement of the buttons and you can avoid buying the expensive SF bezels.

About the joysticks i remember to you all that i have eagle libraries for them if needed.

Carnival s delayed a bit the construction but when i ll be finished with cleaning up a few mm of dirt from my house floor i ll be back in the lab.

Cheers!