Accidentally found an OPL3

nILS

After years of keeping it for no reason I decided to through out my (broken) old 486DX4 laptop. As I always do I took it apart first to see what's in there ;-) Turns out the

MAXDATA FT6000A "Acrobat"

has a YMF262 and a YAC512 on it. How cool is that? ;D

-------------- START OFF-TOPIC --------------

Other stuff on the board:

* MicroClock MK1444-02S Crystal wavetable solution

* touchpad is driven by a PIC16C58A

* Creative Labs Vibra 16 Driver

* Motorola MC34074D High slew rate, wide bandwidth single supply op amp

* Maxim MAX211 RS232 Transceiver

* ICS AV9155 20-pin frequency generator

* SMC FDC37C665IR Floppy disk controller

* CSI CAT28F010N

* Mitsubishi M38802M2

* and a bunch of SR, Inverters and unknown devices

This is fun :D

Hehe, it's not really a collector's item. There's tons of them on ebay for ~20 bucks each. Besides, when I said "broken" I meant "broken". Display contrast is so low you can't see anything, hdd is broken, bios battery screwed, battery dead, ram died, fdd drive only accepts floppies it formatted itself (but no other computer accepts those ;-)), case cracked, broken keys... It's been though a lot even before I got it ;D FIxing it was out of the question - the battery pack still costs 150€, the RAM another 50€ and so on... I think it would like to be put to good use by supplying parts for a good cause.

Most of that stuff makes little difference... maybe the casing could be of use, maybe ram is dead but individual IC's or OK, etc... you never know what half-working machine some geek has, and what parts he needs to complete it ;) But...

There's tons of them on ebay for ~20 bucks each.

Trash it!  ;D

I've no idea how hard it is, but i've yet to come across a decent project for a DIY MIDI touchpad

Step 1) Get touchpads ;)

I toyed with a screen I got once, was the touchscreen for a cassiopaeia (or however you spell it), just had two resistances for X and Y, same deal seems to be the standard for touchscreens and touchpads. I know that capacitative touchpads/screens exist, so keep that in mind when finding a candidate. Resistive should be much easier to use w/ midibox. Then you can plug it into the AINs and convert the received position to a value. Easy! (in theory, heh). Just carry your meter to the scrap laptop, and connect it up to the wires and move your finger around and see whet happens...

Someone mentioned a touchpad recently that they got stuck on because the X and Y axis ran diagonally from corner to corner, but that shouldn't be a big stumbling block.

Getting OT, time to split this thread?