behaviour of the "ALL" button

bosone

i just noticed that while using the ALL button to change the notes parameters, the change affects also the events which are unselected

for example:

a particular step is set to OFF (so that the note itself is not playing).

if i turn on the change button to change the pitch of the notes, even the notes turned off (as the one mentioned before) are changed...

would it be possible to affect by the ALL button only the steps selected and not the muted ones?

(in this post, I assume that a "selected" step is intended as "activated" in the user manual, i.e. with the GP led turned on)

I sometimes need to modify not all the steps, neither just the selected ones, but rather an arbitrary subset (let's say "focused" steps).

I rapidly thought (and not considering consequences or implementation issues!) about adding a fourth layer where you can "focus" or "unfocus" the steps. This layer doesn't trigger anything by itself, nor it will be stored into any pattern. This layer can be edited with GP buttons as usual, but with something like a FOCUS button, you just turn the datawheel and the events of the focused steps get modified.

The behaviour of this button could be the same as ALL.

By pressing both FOCUS and, while pressed, one of the trigger layers' buttons, a trigger layer gets copied and pasted into the focus layer. So the behaviour bosone thinks about can be accomplished by pressing FOCUS + Trigger Layer A, then spinning the datawheel while keeping FOCUS pressed.

The trigger layer and the focus layer are normally independent. If one wants to always focus the steps selected in a layer ("autofocus" :) ), i.e. making the focus layer a slave of a trigger layer, he can press both Trigger Layer A/B/C and, while pressed, the FOCUS button (similar as before but the order is swapped).

What do you think about? It can be a feature I'd really like to have!

A while ago I changed the behaviour of the ALL function based on user requests, so that it affects all steps and not only the selected, which is especially useful while editing CC tracks.

Now people are starting to request the old behaviour again.... ;)

ris8_allo_zen0's proposal is excellent! It would be the perfect solution to tell the UI exactly, which steps should be modified, thats much better than changing only the gated steps (which doesn't work on CC tracks), because it allows you to quickly specify a certain "pattern" (of steps within the layer) which should be set to a specific value.

I will consider this in the next release. As you know, I'm currently busy with MB808, so it could take some weeks. But you can be sure that the idea won't get lost (and in addition, we will get new features which have been implemented during MB808 development :))

It would be interesting to me, if there are more use cases for a "focus" function, beside of using it in conjunction with the "All" button.

Best Regards, Thorsten.

:o

such a "focus" layer could be used for a  funny thing: arm activated steps into this layer, then tweak transpose function, so only some step are affected ==> a nice variation within the track..then if it could be possible to use the scroll function for the focus layer so it hold other steps, it will be possible to make the transpositon moving over the step :)

That's how my seq does it, I personally think it's the best way... Will be nice to see it in action in the mbseq :D

Funny, I've never used an 808 so I didn't know about the A/B function that I reinvented ;) It sounds like maybe that will come to MBSEQ as well? *rubs hands*

Thanks TK for giving account of this idea!!

Some ideas while reading the manual (please note that I speak more as a nerd than as a musician :D)

• limiting the actions in the Utility page (copy, paste, clear, move, scroll, random) for just the focused ones;
  • step recording that only (over)writes the focused steps;

This filtering can be applied by simply calling the respective function while displaying the focus layer (as far as I know, no one of them take account of which event/trigger layer you're displaying)

Some nice tools for the focus layer:
    • invert;
    • select a step range (doable by pressing the first and last GP of the range);
    • scroll (combined with the existing Utility function?);

What about "controlled morphing"? A pattern would play normally if no steps are currently focused; a focused step plays the event/triggers from another pattern.

Besides that, I thought about some "focusing templates":

• even steps
  • odd steps

Or, to generalize, set up a "interval" and "offset" parameter, such that can be selected a step every "interval" starting by "offset"

(so, for even steps: int=2, off=0; for odd steps: int=2, off=1; '90s dance claps: int=8, off=4 :))

Edit: templates could be applied within a limited range and using different methods: Replace, Add, Sub, XOR (toggle).

Hey, what about applying templates to the trigger layers too? One can create cool patterns in seconds!!

Sorry for being such a generator of so many features  :P