super noob to laugh at

pkniffer

yes ! i have realised that i am absolutely clueless, and it's a miracle i've come this far.

i have completed the core module, and my SID module. the lcd works and i think i have loaded the os correctly.

i finally found a c64 psu. the two pdfs about how to connect them, i have rather basic questions as i've managed to arrive here without having to read any schematics.

the 1st pdf, entitled mbhp_sid_psu.pdf - this is not optimised, correct? meaning that it doesnt have the facility to reduce noise, and increase the signal? so if i build this simple one, my questions are 1) how audible is the noise 2) is this circuit meant to be built on a small board or something? 3) i have no c64 - i have to aquire those components elsewhere right?

and, so if i decide to be adventurous and try and build the optimised PSU, that essentially means:

a c64 psu that plugs into another proto board with a bunch of stuff on it that cleans the signal? and that board send the correct voltages to the core and sid?

thanks for anyones time in answering any part of this meganoobness.

:))

Good to hear you got this far ;D

i have completed the core module, and my SID module. the lcd works and i think i have loaded the os correctly.

Does the display show something other than a black bar? For instance something along the lines of "MIOS 1.9f..." - if that's the case - the OS is installed and (probably) working.

the 1st pdf, entitled mbhp_sid_psu.pdf - this is not optimised, correct? meaning that it doesnt have the facility to reduce noise, and increase the signal?

Correct. None of the circuits "increase the signal", they merely reduce/avoid noise (especially the 50/60Hz buzz).

so if i build this simple one, my questions are 1) how audible is the noise

That really depends on your speakers ;-) *Any* noise is audible. Generally speaking the noise isn't really bad without the optimized circuit.

2) is this circuit meant to be built on a small board or something?

That seems to be an easy solution doesn't it ;) A piece of veroboard will do the trick.

3) i have no c64 - i have to aquire those components elsewhere right?

Right. They're pretty common and should be found at virtually any electronics store (reichelt, conrad, mouser, ...)

and, so if i decide to be adventurous and try and build the optimised PSU

It's not really like it's a big adventure - the wiring is really simple and as you've already noticed quite well documented - go for it!

that essentially means: a c64 psu that plugs into another proto board with a bunch of stuff on it that cleans the signal?

Essentially, yes.

and that board send the correct voltages to the core and sid?

Yes and no. It sends 5V to the core, so you don't need the 7805 voltage regulator. It does not however send the "correct" voltage to the SID modules as the 8580/6582 need 9V and the 6581 needs 12V. What it does is send 14V which the 7812 voltage regulator (for 6581) or the 7809 voltage regulator (for 8580/6582) regulate to the desired voltage.

Any more question? Well, I got some:

1) Are you building a v1 or v2?

2) Is it just this one core and one sid?

Here ya go dude. I found this really helpful when putting together the C64 optimized version of the PSU.

http://www.danielprice.org.uk/synth-diy/sid_2.htm

So you follow the above guide precisely and you've a fully functioning optimized PSU.

Then later after everything checks out between the PSU, SID, and CORE you can throw in that additional cap at the end, shown in http://www.ucapps.de/mbhp/mbhp_8xsid_c64_psu_optimized.pdf

Here ya go dude. I found this really helpful when putting together the C64 optimized version of the PSU.

http://www.danielprice.org.uk/synth-diy/sid_2.htm

So you follow the above guide precisely and you've a fully functioning optimized PSU.

To quote from that how-to:

Bear in mind that your rectifier and regulator might not have the same pins in the same places as mine.

I just think this needs an extra reminder here ;) people have blown up their PSU because of the non-standard bridge rectifier pinout used.

wow thanks guys!!!

1) so yeah, the OS boots. I can send msgs to it from the java app in OSX. very cool. I haven't loaded the SID software yet because I still can't send power the sid pcb.

2) nILS - I was building a V1. now, however, I have just found another c64 so i wish to make the v2 with 2 sids and 1 core.

My next questions are:

0) should i continue and complete the v1, and then convert to v2 when i get my new sid kit? or should i just start the coversion now.

1) I have a C64 psu, but it's 220v. can I convert it to 110v?

2) is there a walkthrough avail for the new Control Surface A? (v2). I still have no DINX module, but since I will be building a v2, should i get the DINX from smash tv and stuff it, or should i build a simple one?

thanks guys, you are all amazing.

ok appendage -

I realized that one of my sids is a 6581 and the other is 8580.

i am currently (heh) working on the 8580 one. how do i deal with the different power reqs once i want to do the stereo v2?

I think i have decided just to complete the v1 for now, and upgrade once i am more confident.

is that optimal? :)